Question

Currency Revaluation - Revaluation Account

• 8 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello, 

Consulting the help menu regarding the Revaluation Accounts we found the following:

Use this window to enter, change and view the accounts for General Ledger and/or Internal Ledgers for which currency revaluation should be performed. Here you also specify whether you want the revaluation to be performed on account balances or on a transaction level, and how the currency revaluation should be posted. When a currency revaluation voucher is created, the currency gain or loss is posted either to the GP10 - Unrealized Currency Gains posting type or the GP11 - Unrealized Currency Losses posting type. The opposite side of the voucher is posted either to the original accounts or to the accounts defined in posting type GP9 - Currency Revaluation.

Keeping that in mind, we believe that revaluation accounts that have the Used In Ledger column as “Account Receivable/Payable” should not need to be setup at GP9 - once, as the help menu says, the opposite side of the voucher can be posted in the original account.

However, after we perform the currency revaluation, by the time of create the voucher a pop up error message indicates that GP9 setup is missing.

We are only able to create the currency revaluation voucher after setup the GP9 with the accounts Receivable/Payable, which bring us two problems:

1. If we set up the Account Receivable/Payable to use itself, it can’t be classified as Account Receivable/Payable anymore (theres a limit of posting controls where those accounts can figure). So it become impossible to use the window AP/AR Revaluation Transaction Analysis
  2. If we setup another account, the AP/AR stills possible, but it is not the expected behavior, since we should be able to use the original account to post the currency revaluation.

Having said that, how is it possible to perform an currency revaluation, having AP/AR accounts with the voucher posting in the original accounts?

Best regards

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

1. You can post back to the trade accounts. You can use the posting type to post back to the source account. 
  2. This is the solution found to be favored by all my clients.  - Why?   Because when doing this AP and AR continue to balance to the sub ledger and will reconcile. 100% certain.    “If” we post back to the source account then those revaluation entries would be reconciling items back to the trade.  These revaluation values are not within the detail ledger as they are not invoices. I see these as adjustments to the ledger and a separate account (same family) is the preferred solution by all my clients.    I say this because I had to assist a number of clients (show them this option) when they complained that option 1 causes reconciliation differences. 

So, yes, we can do 1) but 2) may be better (with a different account). 

Best regards,