Question

connect Supplier invoice to customer account

• 31 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Can a customer be linked to a supplier PO or invoice line? 

We have a new process starting and are looking to pay a supplier on behalf of customer, then deduct that payment from what they have to pay us (or conversely what we should pay them).

Basically we will have transactions on a customer account, and we have to deduct specific supplier invoice, to calculate final balance.  Can’t just link supplier to customer, as x supplier might be related to more than 1 customer, so can a specific supplier invoice or PO line be linked to customer account to help calculate this?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am afraid the process described is not clear for me. If you are spending your money paying supplier on behalf of your customer, you are going to INCREASE, not DECREASE, customer debts…

Moreover, paying on behalf of someone else means usually that you do not have source document booked - I mean supplier invoice. what is the basis for your payment then?

I can imagine opposite process - your supplier wants you to pay its invoice to someone being your customer, but in such a case you do not need to process formal payment at all, you can compensate supplier invoice with customer invoice (e.g. using mixed payment). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

On the Supplier form under Payment you have to select “netting allowed” and then on the Purchase tab indicate the customer # you are wanting to net supplier invoices to customer entries.  That’s the link. If you have 1 supplier to multiple customers you may need to create a Parent customer possibly and try it that way.