Question

Code string completion

• 1 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Dear all,

We would like to use code string completion to combine 2 code part value to fill in another code part value within IFS apps v10

For example, in our case, we would like to be able to combine : account with service to link the combination to another code part value

Currently we have all these code strings activated in the system

We would like to fill in automatically the code string “J” (Groupe 2.0) with the combination of “A” (Account) and “B” (Service)

Does anyone know if it is possible to use code string completion to do that or any other solution?

Thank you 

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I’m not aware of a way to do this, where only a combination of 2 GL code parts always pre-populates the 3rd code part. 

There is code string completion, but that works if one code part always populates others (i.e hardcoding the code part values), but it’s one to many, not many to one relationship. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Code string completion looks at a given code part value and then fills other code part vales. 

For example, assume account is X, then fill B and J with values.   It cannot take account X and service Y to get a value for J.   See below example, for account 1000, fill cost center and loc. 

Given the request, and my experience doing similar, it would appear you need to incorporate multiple tools.  

1. If you have a direct Account to J map for a number of values, use the code string completion for those.  
  2. For others, you would need to set up posting control to populate J with an appropriate value. 
  3. For some others you may need to use the automatic posting rule. The warning for this is - you can easily create reconciliation issues when your managing 100,000 or even 10,000 or even 1,000 transactions via automatic posting rules.  This should be the last option, when we have a large number of affected records. 
  4. In some cases, only a manual voucher will be used to create the original posting. In this case, the user will manually enter code J.   
  5. If this code J can wait until month end, you can fill code J (at month end - using balances) via PCA.   You should fill code J  as best you can with the above, then use PCA for what remains.  

Best regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Try pseudo codes, where the combination can be defined. When pseudo code is used insted of GL account, the other code parts will be filled up as defined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Regarding the pseudo code, it can be helpful for a manual entry. It does not solve the code J type issue.  Code J is commonly used for what I call a local account. In a number of countries, you must report on a local account. - Mandatory account structure.  Pseudo codes (usage) is limited to pure finance related process such as manual voucher, manual assigning of postings from supplier invoice and similar.  The operational transactions (majority of postings) flow from posting control and would not be suitable for pseudo codes.

You need multiple tools to solve this requirement. Once set up, IFS will fill code J fairly automated.   

I've done this more times than I can recall. We just need to take this on, one step at a time. 

Best regards