Skip to main content
Solved

Authorization Combination Rule ID?

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I am new to Authorizations in IFS and I am trying to understand exactly how it chooses what rules to apply when routing for approval.  I see that the first step is to add the user to Invoice Posting Authorizers and a Group if needed.  I see that you can assign a Max amount on the Authorizer, but I also see a Authorization Combination Rule that can also be applied.  Which one is used?  I also see that you can apply a Group or User to a Authorization Assigning Rule that you can also assign rules and dollar amounts to the rule.  I don’t understand what each does.

1. Max amount on Posting Authorizers.
  2. Authorization Combination Rule ID
  3. Authorizer Assigning Rules

Would love to understand this better so I can setup my company to follow our DOA.  

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

First off - I’ll comment on a few topics / areas you ask, then I’ll try and put it all together in a meaningful way. 

The combination ID is essentially what is allowed to be authorized and the limits.   Assume a site manager is a combination ID.  You then assign what code strings (rent, utilities, expenses etc) and amounts that this combination can authorize. This does not imply who is selected to authorize a posting line, just the limits. 

Then we have the authorization routing rule. This function identifies the authorization steps - and the invoice posting authorizers for each step. Remember if you have three steps or sequences, then those three (or a member of a group) are assigned. One step, one person or one group is assigned. 

The Authorizer Assigning Rules is essentially the engine that decides what routing rule (steps and people) are assigned for a given posting line.  This is very similar to the purchase authorization rules.  The assigning rule is based on amounts (max), code string, supplier and other. Note the rules are not defined as an example $1000 to $5000 for a given supplier, or suppliers. The priority dictates the ordering of the rules test. Rule 1 is tested first, then 2, then 3 etc.  You would essentially create a rule with priority 1 that covers postings up to $1000, then another rule with $5000 so the second rule is applied when the value if less than $5000. For any posting line only 1 rule is applied.  Example we a branch manager can be assigned based on site (assuming site is a code part) with suppliers 1, 2, 3, and code strings for rent, utilities, other.  The limit could be 25K.   You can cave a similar rule (higher priority) where the amount is 75K. In this the routing rule could select the branch manager and Finance as anything over 25K may need multiple authorization steps. 

Then you have substitutes superior authorizers and other.   Help has a ton of information.  When working with clients 2 main areas are always a bit confusing at first. This is the difference of the routing rule, and the assigning rule. As descried, the routing rule is the steps needed for automation and who does a given step (sequence). The assigning rule determines the under what condition does that routing rule get assigned.  As described priority (defining the correct priority is really important, as priority 1, is tested first, priority 2 next and so on. Once a rule is selected (conditions met) the rule is then selected / assigned to the invoice posting. 

As a general comment, I’m a big fan of the authorization groups, even if a group may contain only 1 person.  It’s really easy to change members of a group. 

Hope this helps. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Badge +4