Question

Advice for invoicing incorrectly shipped parts

• 6 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello IFS Community.  My company is struggling with the topic of how to invoice for parts that the customer received in error, did not initially order or was invoiced for, but has use for the parts that they received and wants to be invoiced.  This falls into 2 categories: customer ordered and was invoiced for part A but received an incorrect part B and overshipments: customer ordered and was invoiced for 1 but received 3.  This has become a tennis match between Accounting and the Returns Department:  Accounting says that the proper way to invoice is thru an order but Returns has not identified a workable process to “fake” an order to get the desired invoice.  The only solution so far is to create an order, let it actually ship out the door, and then pull it back with a UPS service interruption.  It is a lot of extra work for something that should be much easier.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Anthony 

Restek Return Services Coordinator

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am not sure how your shipments are set-up and connected to UPS service, but obviously in both case described your inventory is not correct, I think (part or quantity received by customer different than shipped). 

I think you need shipment method (and perhaps order type) which is not integrated with UPS service, intended to just do relevant paperwork - create inventory transaction and customer invoice only. But without details it is not possible to tell you how it should be set-up in your case. Perhaps you should ask your IFS support representative.

In case of overshipments, just shipping and invoicing of outstanding quantity is enough, in case of incorrect part, return of the part never received is needed in addition.