Question

Track replacement of parts purchased by client

• 11 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions on the following situation:

• we have sold a customer a equipment that helps him in his production process
  • the machine needs regular maintenance and replacement of wear parts (non serial tracked)

Now I have 2 situations:

1. The customer buys the wear parts from us and puts it in their stock (Handled through standard Customer Order Process)
  2. The customer buys the wear part from a different source, but the part is technically identical (For example: standard electronics like a power supply or TL lights,...)

How can we track the replacement of these parts during a standard intervention (Work Order)?

I need a transparant and easy way to track inside IFS that these parts where replace on Day/time X so we can keep track of Mean Time To Failure.

What’s the best way to track this? Taking into account we want to extract overviews and use search functionality and filters - so regular text fields don’t do the trick.

Best Regards

Roel

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to approach this?

Best Regards

Roel

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

This request is still open and now another client of ours is asking this question. How do you approach this?

Best Regards

Roel

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I would look into setting up an object structure with serial objects for the wear parts. You can use non serial tracked parts for the wear parts, but you would have to enter a serial for the serial object.

This would allow you to issue the new part on a work order and place it in the object structure, while returning the old part to remove it from the object structure. You should be able to use customer owned parts for this as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply @Roel van Zwieten.

Question: in order to issue the new part (= the customer owned part), I first need to get it into my inventory as a ‘customer owned’ item, and with a (self defined) serial no, correct?

What would be the best process for this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

How do you have visibility into the wear parts that the customer bought from a different source (if there is any visibility into this at all)? You are right that you would have to get them into your inventory in some way in order to issue them on a WO. 

You can still use non serial tracked parts, so you don't have to define a (made up) serial number.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

“How do you have visibility into the wear parts that the customer bought from a different source (if there is any visibility into this at all)”.

I think a good example would be an elektromotor. You sold the customer a machine that runs a conveyor belt with an elektromotor - the manufacturer and modelnumber are on there so any customer can find these on-line in various places. So he bought one and gives it to our engineer that’s doing a preventive maintenance… So you want to keep track that this motor was replaced on date X. 

I think the same goes for any other electronics component that is manufactured in bulk (Power supplies for example).

The conveyor belt iself is also a good example. Customers could possibly get better deals directly from belt suppliers like habasit. But you want to note down when it was replaced to keep track of lifetime and operating hours…

“You can still use non serial tracked parts, so you don't have to define a (made up) serial number.”

Can you put non serialized parts in the object structure? I thought this always had to be a Part Serial.