Skip to main content
Question

Logging and investigation of unauthorized password events

• 13 June 2024
  • 6 replies

I am looking to see if there is any baseline functionality in FSM6u25 to support the following being request as part of our IT security audit process
- Security journal are enabled and log unauthorized login attempts

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi Richard,

the Server Log includes entries, if a user has given an incorrect password. In addition, there is a column on the Person-table where you can see the failed login attempts.

If you want to apply a password policy, you can do so by setting the following app params:

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thank you Roman.  We do already have policies established but we are looking for an effective way to consolidate and report on these failed log-in attempts beyond the ‘failed attempts’ indicator on the person record.  In our current system set-up, a new server log is created at least once a day so collecting this type of information would be quite difficult.  Are there any solutions for creating some sort of journaling log to specifically capture these events?

Regards,

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Unfortunately, not that I’m aware of. You would need to parse the log files somehow with a monitoring tool that creates some sort of notification. 
For the “failed attempts” a lobby could be created inside FSM.

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Ok thanks.  Can this be logged as an ‘idea’ for R&D to consider?  I would have to think that with the heightened concern on system security in general, having direct visibility to this data would be of interest to many.

Thanks,

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

You can raise a new idea here:
https://community.ifs.com/ideas

Make sure to link it in this thread. So, people searching for the same functionality will be able to upvote. Thanks!

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 1
Badge +6