Solved

FSM - Restrict access to smartclient for role/person

• 3 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello,

Is it possible to restrict a role or a person to not have access to SmartClient or only to WebClient?

We configured the property "Client Type", in role, to "Web Client", but the person is still able to login and work on the smartclient.

Thanks for the help,
DC

icon

Best answer by Lee Pinchbeck 5 November 2020, 13:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @dacampelo,

I believe the web and smart clients are intended to be used by the same type of user so there would not be the same ability to restrict access to one or the other as there is for a tech portal user or customer portal user for instance.

Depending on how you are setup you may be able to restrict the specific user from accessing the smart client link itself but still allow the traffic to the web client.

I am not aware of anyone separating users between the smart and web clients before though so not sure what would work. Usually I see that the tech portal has been used instead as a restricted form of access for back office workers. Would that be an option?

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

The easiest way to (sort of) do it would be not providing the Smart Client to the user.  If they can’t install it conveniently, they can’t use it conveniently.  You could possibly put an authentication page in front of the Client installation web page unless you are using the integrated Smart Client.  That would allow you to provide the click-once Smart Client to some users, but not others in an environment where users would be expected to share the installation URL with each other.

Ultimately, FSM doesn’t require any client identification, so there isn’t a technical way to control what is used to access the FSM server - only who.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Lee Pinchbeck @Mike The FSM TechnoGeek, thank you for your help.