Solved

FSM 5.7 - Assign Workflow to a Button

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have created a Workflow and would like to deploy to screen so it launches on a button click.

How do you do that?

I can see in the FSM Reference Documentation the following:

Button. You can create a button to execute a workflow using the UI Designer. You add a workflow button to a screen customization and then attach one or more workflows using the edit workflow group feature. You can run a new instance of a workflow or complete a workflow instance that is preserved. 

I cannot see in the UI Designer, or other screens anything referring to an ‘edit workflow group feature’. Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ady

icon

Best answer by Simon Wiltshire 23 March 2021, 17:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Ady

In UI Designer.

1. Add a new ‘Blank’ button to the screen, once applied…
  2. Select the new button and then use the 3rd Pencil icon in the top left (as screenshot highlighted)
  3. Use the third pencil (Edit Workflow Group)

Screenshot shows the workflow id and input relationships/parameters

A Print button calling a report, can also use (Edit ReportSet Group) which can give the user multiple report run options) but the principles are the same.

Hope the answers the query.

Br.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Simon Wiltshire - Great stuff thank you.

I’d just like to confirm on point #1. Should that be ‘Workflow’ button instead of ‘Blank’.

Followed the instructions and didn’t work. So I removed the button and added back as ‘Workflow’ and now we’re in business.

Thanks again.

Ady

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@AdrianEgley  Great you have this working now!

And yes, point 1 can also be add a workflow button which is more simplistic.

It’s also possible to add a ‘Blank’ button and then right click the button and convert it into one of the standard function ootb button functions, so both ways are valid.

Br,

Simon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Simon Wiltshire 

Thanks as always, great advice.

Just wish I had asked earlier, would have saved hours :confounded: .

Ady

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @AdrianEgley 

please don’t forget to sync the screen fields with the variables of the workflow.

The variables / STEP ID in the workflow needs to be in small letters if the data needs to collect from an screen (e.g. Request).
Otherwise your workflow will not work via the button in the screen.

Best regards,
Sven
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Sven Paul Thank you for that.

I had set the variables to be Case Sensitive and matched them up i.e. RequestID. But now I have made the variables and step id all lower case it pulls in the information.

Best Regards

Ady

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @AdrianEgley 

one additoinal important information which pops up in my mind.

You also need to add the varaibles of your workflow as input parameter into the the workflow editor. Otherwise the screen will not catch them up as expected.

Best regards,

Sven

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Sven Paul 

Thank you. That makes sense.

Ady

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Sven Paul / @Simon Wiltshire 

I think I remember seeing this on an alternative post, but cannot seem to locate it.

Just wondering if its possible that when column(s) are applied to a workflow, it inherits the global code hierarchy structure too? If not I can add that data collection to outside of the work flow.

Looking in the designer nothing is standing out.

Cheers Ady

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @AdrianEgley ,

yes, it is possible, but not automatically.

You need to tell the workflow which information should be used in the next field and what the source of this data is.

The easiest way to understand how the workflow works is to look into the existing standard ones.

Here is one example to understand the logic with the code tables.

Best regards,

Sven