Solved

CLIENT LOGIN | Block login to Smart Client & information pop up

• 21 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

1.) Is there a baseline functionality to block users from logging in / using one of the clients:
* Smart Client
* Web Client

Background:
In the upcoming months we want to migrate all users to Web Client and are searching for a functionality to 'deactivate' their possibility to use the smart client.

2.) Additionally we thought about a pop up, which should occur in the next weeks after login to Smart Client. It should inform the user that Smart Client won't be supported any more by us from day x onwards and that from day y onwards, the login will even be blocked (see topic one). Is there a best practice to handle this? My assumption is that this can only be done via Smart Client script. Or is there any other possibility?

regards,
Thomas

icon

Best answer by roklde 21 March 2022, 16:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi @Thomas Widmoser 

Baseline functionality to prevent repeat logins is enabling of all param BLOCK_REPAT_LOGIN. 

Determines whether a user cannot login again while still logged in elsewhere. Values are Y (yes) and N (no).

- When this parameter is Y (yes) and a user attempts a second login, an error appears and the second login is unsuccessful. 

Hope this may help. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Thomas,

technically it’s not possible to prevent a Person from using the Smart Client as there is no specific license type available for this (like e.g. MOBILE allows only usage of FSM Mobile App).

I know that you are on IFS Managed Cloud so you also can’t make certain tweaks in IIS to “block” access for certain users.

This means you can only do it via communication. I think you can show a message and/or initial screen (assigned via role) after the Person successfully logged into the Client but again, this message is shown in both Smart and Web Client.

As this isn’t my expertise of area, I hope someone else can elaborate on how to achieve this. :)

Best regards

Roman

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

@Kalpani Dissanayake: unfortunately the app param BLOCK_REPAT_LOGIN doesn’t really help in our scenario. First, users still could login to Smart Client and only use this application. Second, we as admins very often need both applications in parallel as some modules are only available in Smart Client (e.g. UI designer). 

@roklde: ok, then we know at least that from a technical perspective we can’t block only one access. 

We will go further with the approach to inform via a specific screen and/or a client script to show that screen.

Of course, if anyone else has additional ideas, always happy to hear!

regards,
Thomas