Solved

Adding Attachment Option to FSM Escalation Screen

• 12 September 2023
  • 4 replies

FSM Release 6, Smartclient. We need to include the ability to add attachments to the FSM Escalation screen. I see a few tables such as PLACE_ATTACHMENT which allows for linking PLACE to ATTACHMENT. Do I have to create something similar for the ESCALATION table? Add a child relationship to ESCALATION screen to add the ATTACHMENT tab? Any step by step guidance from someone who’s done this process and can offer direction would be appreciated. Don’t want to miss steps with creating custom metadata, etc. Thank you

icon

Best answer by Shneor Cheshin 13 September 2023, 08:30

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hi @InADaysWork 

Not a step-by-step, but general guidance. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, will do my best to assist.

Metadata

Custom metadata for C_ATTACHMENT_ALIAS1
- Alias of table ATTACHMENT

New Table C_ESCALATION_ATTACHMENT

UI Looks like

Cheers!

Thanks Shneor Cheshin, helps to move ahead vs. having to ‘decompile’ the baseline attachment tables/screens to figure that all out and move ahead :-)

Here is more detail on how I was able to do this. Adding an Attachment tab to a screen must include a way to access external (to FSM) data. This involved more than is evident with just adding a UI tab, however a similar process can be followed for adding Attachments to any screen:

First, create table in Custom Metadata, based on Attachment table. Create your own table name and column names. I only needed to add the two key fields in the two tables I wanted to link - in this case the Escalation table (on esc_id) and Attachment table (on attachment_id):

Modify SQL as appropriate, and execute to create the table, add SQL to table script box.

Set up Relationship IDs and Relation Defs (you can use your own info):

You’ll need your table columns for the UI, which is the next step:

Open UI Designer, open the table where the Attachment tab will be added (in this case, Escalation), and edit tab area to include a new tab “Attachments” (or whatever you want to call the new tab). You can add a new tab by right-clicking on the tab line:

You’re going to need to add columns to display for this tab: In this example: ID, File Path (a lookup), Attachment Type (required, a drop down/combo), Name and Description. The ID will come from your new table, the remaining will come from the Attachment table (Add Screen Fields, Attachment table). If you get a message that you manually need to add “name” path, you’ll be using the Edit Child Relations button (some jokingly call “Nine Inch Nails” button) and updating Properties:

Change table/column names to match your configuration, you’re linking your new table to the Attachment and [screen name to add attachment].

For each column being added to Attachment tab item, be sure proper path is filled in on Properties:

File Path column will be a Lookup that allows users to select a file to attach:

Attachment Type is required, and is a drop down/combo box:

Adding ID, Name and Description (and any other columns you need/want to add) should be self-explanatory if you’re familiar with adding columns to a screen in the UI Designer.

Then, you need to make the NEW and DELETE buttons work properly, so update properties :

NEW button -

DELETE button:

I think that about covers it. If you try this yourself and find any errors in stepping through the above, please feel free to send corrections. I don’t guarantee I’ve missed a step or documented something incorrectly. This worked for me and it’s great to be able to add a way to include attachments in FSM for various screens/custom screens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Great job @InADaysWork 

Thanks for sharing.