Question

Xref files in IFS Cloud Document Management

• 21 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

Is it possible to handle Xref files in IFS Cloud 22R1 Document Management ? 

Is  it possible to open xref file and  also edit xref files (example: Xreffed drawings) using IFS document  management functions (ex: Edit document) and reflect the changes on Master file? 
Can someone provide a documentation on handling Xref files on IFS Cloud ? 

workshop questions from scope tool

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Yashodha. 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It's hard to answer that question since "handling Xrefs" can mean so many things.

IFS document management can handle the storage of more or less any file. We also have the possibility to keep structures of documents. So, a parent/master document can have a number of child/sub documents checked in and connected under the Consists Of tab. That is really old functionality that has been there for the last 20 years.

It can be cumbersome however to manually check in and out a whole structure, if there are many documents in it. For those purposes we had support for what we call "structure" documents, in IFS EE. There, a user could with a few clicks check in a whole file structure to IFS, in one go. And the same when editing or viewing.

The underlying data structures are still in place but the user interface in IFS Cloud (Aurena) is not up to par with what we had in IEE, so the user needs to do a bit of manual work to work with documents that consist of other documents.

Even in IEE, we didn't have any "explicit" handling of the Xrefs in the sense that we did not look into the files to find the references. It's up to the application with which the user opens the document to resolve any references.

I hope this answers the question.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Mathias Dahl ,
Thank you for the explanation. I will check what you have mentioned and get  back to you if I need further information.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Yashodha.