Solved

transfer documents of component to an assembly part

• 10 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello,

I’d like to ask for your help.

Is it possible to transfer documents of a component (EngPartRevision) to an assembly part (EngPartRevision) ?

I’ve checked in Object Connection Transformation, it seems impossible ...

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 17 March 2022, 13:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

You say it is impossible, can you tell us why you think so and what you tried?

Also, if you haven't already, have a look at the very detailed documentation that explains the different options you have when setting up Object Connection Transformation rules:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/21r2/DefineSystemBasics/AboutObjectConnectionTrans.htm?StandAlone=true

Thanks!

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

You say it is impossible, can you tell us why you think so and what you tried?

Also, if you haven't already, have a look at the very detailed documentation that explains the different options you have when setting up Object Connection Transformation rules:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/21r2/DefineSystemBasics/AboutObjectConnectionTrans.htm?StandAlone=true

Thanks!

/Mathias

Hello @Mathias Dahl ,

I’m sorry for ma late response. 

I’ve tried two ways.

1/ I tried “EngPartRevision” directly to “EngPartRevision”, but I cant find an appropriate transformation method. 

2/ I tried “EngPartRevision” (sub part) to “EngPartStructure” then to “EngPartRevision” (assembly part).

The first step succeeded, the document is transferred from “EngPartRevision” (sub part) to “EngPartStructure”, as the picture below shows :

But the second step failed, the document isn’t transferred to “EngPartRevision” (assembly part) :

Could you help me please ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Okay, I think I understand now. You want documents from a child part (component, as you call it) to also be seen on the parent (assembly). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since there is a relational entity (EngPartStructure) that ties them together, you cannot use a simple mapping on your Object Connection Transformation rule to accomplish this. Also, rules cannot be chained together. That is, you cannot transform things in steps, via different rules.

If you want to do this, you need to write PL/SQL code to handle the transformation from documents from the child part to the parent. If you look at the system defined Object Connection Transformation rules you will find other rules that uses code (a method in an API) to do the transformation.

This will count as a customization, although a quite small one and you might need help from IFS or a partner to implement it.

Your other option is to create a custom event with a custom event action that uses PL/SQL code to duplicate document connections on the child to the parent. That should not be very hard but I'm afraid I don't have a ready recipe for you on how to do it.

Good luck!

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

Okay, I think I understand now. You want documents from a child part (component, as you call it) to also be seen on the parent (assembly). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since there is a relational entity (EngPartStructure) that ties them together, you cannot use a simple mapping on your Object Connection Transformation rule to accomplish this. Also, rules cannot be chained together. That is, you cannot transform things in steps, via different rules.

If you want to do this, you need to write PL/SQL code to handle the transformation from documents from the child part to the parent. If you look at the system defined Object Connection Transformation rules you will find other rules that uses code (a method in an API) to do the transformation.

This will count as a customization, although a quite small one and you might need help from IFS or a partner to implement it.

Your other option is to create a custom event with a custom event action that uses PL/SQL code to duplicate document connections on the child to the parent. That should not be very hard but I'm afraid I don't have a ready recipe for you on how to do it.

Good luck!

/Mathias

You understand well.

Thanks @Mathias Dahl for your answer ! I think we’ll use the method in an API to do the transformation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

If you decide to develop your own transformation method, don’t hesitate to look at how the system defined ones does it. The concept is quite simple.

Good luck!