Question

Slow document attachment

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Many of my users are experiencing a problem where it takes several minutes or more to attach a document. Documents are stored in the database, and these are local users to the server so not a network issue.  They are in chrome with the appropriate plug in’s and are browsing to the documents. 

Running 23R1 Update 7

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

With plugin, do you refer to to the Aurena Agent? If you do, try disabling it, to keep trouble shooting simpler, then ask a user to upload and attach a file. Have them keep the Developer Tools and the Network tab open when they do this, then you can see what network calls it is that takes time. Report back the findings here, with as much details as possible (it's really hard to suggest any action based on a few paragraphs of text without any details).

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

We have narrowed down the issue. It looks we have a major wait on  “SQL*Net more data from client”. 

Normally I would try playing with the Oracle SDU size to see if it could be tuned.

Typically you can do that fairly easily by  configuring  SDU size on the server and the client. 

I’m just not sure how to change it  on the Ubuntu Middleware server with docker and Kubernetes pods. 

Is there any way to set that in the IFS middleware configuration? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It seems like you have found that there is a general issue in Oracle - don't that affect other flows as well?

I should mention that we had a problem on 23R1 where a performance fix created other performance issues. Perhaps that's what you are experiencing. There is a fix for that in a later SU. The impact of the bug shows in several places when using Document Management, and especially if you have a lot of documents (at least tens or hundreds of thousands I think, below that the data is not enough to see the issue)

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

It seems like you have found that there is a general issue in Oracle - don't that affect other flows as well?

I should mention that we had a problem on 23R1 where a performance fix created other performance issues. Perhaps that's what you are experiencing. There is a fix for that in a later SU. The impact of the bug shows in several places when using Document Management, and especially if you have a lot of documents (at least tens or hundreds of thousands I think, below that the data is not enough to see the issue)

Well the specific Oracle problem would show up far more with attaching documents due to the size than anything else 

Do you happen to know which SU fixed this issue? We are currently on 7. We have 1,272,295  documents

Thanks

Alex 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The problem I described (which might or might not be related to your problem) was fixed in October and it looks like we released it in 23R1 SU7, which you already have…

You know that you have the problem if it's super slow (= minutes) to create lines under Document Revision / Access, for example. It had bad effects in other places as well in that screen.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I just tried adding a line to Document Revision/Access and had no issues

Any thoughts if it’s possible to modify the Oracle SDU on the middleware server? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Then you probably are not affected by the problem I was thinking on, and it makes sense since you have SU7.

Any thoughts if it’s possible to modify the Oracle SDU on the middleware server? 

Sorry, no. You can try asking in the Framework section here on Community.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Then you probably are not affected by the problem I was thinking on, and it makes sense since you have SU7.

Sorry, no. You can try asking in the Framework section here on Community.

So I figured it out and posted it in framework., seems to have made a real difference 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Alex Ivkovic Great!

Can you share a link to the other post here, or the answer?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Oracle SDU (Session Data Unit) for remote implementations | IFS Community