Several Document Related Questions

• 22 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

A customer has asked me about several things in Document management:

1. Has anyone written a script wherein you can:
    • Mass set the document retention or removal dates 
    • Remove all documents of a certain class that is selectable by a document class and document number range
  2. Do a mass change of document class on document revisions and have the documents selected by a document class and document number range
  3. Import documents or add documents into Document Management from a SharePoint or a Teams site
  4. Any best practices for document class development.  What have you seen work in your experiences?

Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Vernon,

Thanks for posting here.

I don't have any of the scripts you ask about. None of it is very hard to write, but at least the document class change will require a bit of grunt work, making sure to cover the most important tables that Docman uses and changing the class in all of them.

As for moving documents from SharePoint to Docman, is it just by chance that you are asking a very similar question as someone else did a few days ago here? It should not be very hard either. How many documents are we talking about?

When it comes to what document classes to use, I would say use as few as you can, or not more than you need. Too many classes will make it hard for users to select the right one (there are some basic data that can help with this though, and custom events could be used to, to stop users from using the wrong classes).

The most common reason for having many classes is that customers wants to have many different access templates. That would be one thing to look into. The simpler requirements they have here, the fewer classes you need from an access perspective. And then you of course need to have them think about what types of documents they use in their business. That would be the other main parameter I think.

I guess there are many different classification schemes you could use too. Do you want to classify by the content or by the target audience/organization?

These are just my quick thoughts. I hope some customer or other consultant will reply here, since there should be plenty of good experience and advice out there.

Good luck!

/Mathias
PS. I think you might have had better luck if you posted about each topic separately. Then people who know a lot about, say, document classification, would notice that topic/post more easily. Some might skip over a general topic like the one you chose. Just saying… :)