Question

Sending an an attached document via email

• 13 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello, I’m trying to find a solution to help automate a few steps in the process of our customer relations.

We print the packing list and BOL, have the driver sign the paperwork, and attach the signed paperwork directly to the shipment in IFS. Upon attachment of the signed documentation, I’d like to trigger an email to the customer/ customer relations team with this document. 

Triggering the email and dictating the path of the email is no problem, but I’m not sure how to make the files attach to an email since they are BLOBs in our database and not files on an FTP due to SOX requirements. Is it possible to attach the BLOB to an email so that the receiver sees the attached PDF?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @rkierstead8 ,

I've created an event action that attaches a document to an email that is stored in document management in our database.  I can attach the code tomorrow and you can modify it to meet your requirements.  

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @rkierstead8 

In COMMAND_SYS there are methods you can use to insert attachments to emails which are in CLOB form. Have a look in that API and you will see lot of useful methods to use in your case.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @rkierstead8 ,

Here’s the event action PL/SQL code I wrote about last night.   We use this to send an email with document attached for any document within document class 100 to a mailbox so another process can take the document attachment and place it onto our corporate website.

DECLARE
mailto_ VARCHAR2(800) := 'flow.admin@domain.com;
mailfrom_ VARCHAR2(800) := 'noreply@domain.com';
file_name_ VARCHAR2(2000);
file_names_ VARCHAR2(2000);
doc_type_ VARCHAR2(2000);
f_ VARCHAR2(2000);
error_msg_ VARCHAR2(32000);
rec_ Plsqlap_Record_API.type_record_;

doc_class_ VARCHAR2(100) := '&DOC_CLASS';
doc_no_ VARCHAR2(100) := '&DOC_NO';
doc_rev_ VARCHAR2(100) := '&DOC_REV';
doc_sheet_ VARCHAR2(100) := '&DOC_SHEET';

doc_ref_ VARCHAR2(32000);
message_ VARCHAR2(32000);

CURSOR get_doc_reference IS
SELECT doc_object_desc
FROM DOC_REFERENCE_OBJECT
WHERE doc_class = '&DOC_CLASS'
AND doc_no = '&DOC_NO'
AND lu_name = 'DocFolder';

BEGIN

OPEN get_doc_reference;
FETCH get_doc_reference INTO doc_ref_;
IF get_doc_reference%FOUND THEN
EDM_FILE_API.REFERENCE_EXIST(f_, doc_class_, doc_no_, doc_sheet_, doc_rev_,'VIEW');
IF f_ = 'TRUE' THEN
doc_type_ := 'VIEW';
ELSE
doc_type_ := 'ORIGINAL';
END IF;

file_name_ := EDM_FILE_API.GET_NEW_LOCAL_FILE_NAME(doc_class_, doc_no_, doc_sheet_, doc_rev_,doc_type_,'1');
BATCH_TRANSFER_HANDLER_API.Download_From_DB(error_msg_, doc_class_, doc_no_, doc_sheet_, doc_rev_, doc_type_, 1, file_name_);

message_ := 'Document No.: &DOC_NO' || CHR(13) || CHR(10) ||
'Title: &TITLE ' || CHR(13) || CHR(10);

COMMAND_SYS.MAIL(
FROM_USER_NAME_ => mailfrom_,
TO_USER_NAME_ => mailto_,
TEXT_ => message_,
SUBJECT_ =>'&DOC_NO ' || doc_ref_ || ' &TITLE',
ATTACH_ => file_name_ );
END IF;
CLOSE get_doc_reference;
END;

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@rkierstead8 

> but I’m not sure how to make the files attach to an email since they are BLOBs in our database and not files on an FTP due to SOX requirements.

It’s actually a good thing :), for you, that the document files are in the database since then they can be easily accessed by PL/SQL code, as seen in the example from William above.

While on the topic of SOX, if you are thinking about the file operations log that were once only available for documents stored in the database, it is now available for documents stored in FTP or Shared repositories as well (from Apps 9 or 10 I think).

Of course, the logging is better when the documents are kept in the database. If they are kept on an FTP server, for example, we cannot guarantee that a person will not access the files by logging in to the FTP server outside IFS so to speak.

Badge +1

Thanks everyone. I found a way to do what I needed before seeing William’s response, but I may still check it out.

I decided to create a directory on the MW server and export the BLOB to PDF and then use a second procedure to send the email. A Windows task will clean the folder after a while. This might not be the cleanest way, but it works. I’m still growing and trying to to understand certain things about Oracle and PL/SQL and my mentors aren’t really accessible anymore, so I can usually get things done, but might be unorthodox lol.

Thanks for all your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

... might not be the cleanest way, but it works. I’m still growing and trying to to understand certain things about Oracle and PL/SQL and my mentors aren’t really accessible anymore, so I can usually get things done, but might be unorthodox lol.

That's how you learn and grow, by experimenting and trying things out 🙂💪🏻