Solved

Merging Object Technical Characteristics into Documents

• 9 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Anybody who ever managed to pick up Technical Characteristics and merge them into a document using macros?

If so - can you share how to set up the object connection to manage this?

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 10 May 2023, 23:06

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Do you mean produce a Data Sheet or something similar ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Yes but prefereably with Document Management and not report designer

And our characteristics unfortunately are sitting outside Asset Design

/kim

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You need to make a small customization in order to pull this off. A PL/SQL procedure is needed to compile the characteristics and add them as macro attributes. Our documentation for macros explains how it works.

Can you tell us about the use case?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Ok thank you

The customer is holding a number of attributes per Asset, which ideally should be merged into a certificate.

Now in real life this would be custom fields and maybe even a custom projection .. so no need for plsql coding

We are not using asset design since it does not fit enduservpurpose

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks!

If the plan is to use Docman to create this certificate, you can avoid the PL/SQL coding by adding some custom fields directly to the object that's connected to the document. Then the new fields can be accessible to the macro if you set it up in the object attributes for macros basic data. At least I think we added support for custom fields there sometime back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Then the new fields can be accessible to the macro if you set it up in the object attributes for macros basic data. At least I think we added support for custom fields there sometime back.

I have now verified that we DO support custom fields on objects in document macros.