Question

LOB Storage

• 7 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Currently on APP 10 update 17.  Working on our upgrade to IFS Cloud 23 R1

Our database is  1.3 TB and the vast majority of that is LOB  documents etc.  It’s growing rapidly.

I can do a datapump export in about 2.5 hours but importing is taking about 15.  I knocked it down from 17 hours by tuning and splitting the LOB datafiles onto multiple drives. I’m going to continue work on hardware solutions but I don’t expect that to make any big difference.

We are going to remain on premises.  I’m considering moving the LOB storage to an FTP server as aside from the upgrade taking forever I have fears regarding time to do a database restore etc if that was necessary. 

Wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone had any experience or other ideas 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this:

...aside from the upgrade taking forever...

Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but I don't see why an upgrade of an on-premise IFS Applications installation to IFS Cloud ("Remote deployment", as it's called) should be impacted by a lot of documents.

About your (growing) problem, it sounds wise to move at least some of the document classes to external storage (not in the database). I recommend the new repository type File Storage which, in IFS Cloud 23R1 now have support for Remote deployments via SMB. This is NOT the same as Docman's Shared repositories, which are also SMB based, but it's very similar of course. FTP and Shared repositories will probably be deprecated in a not too far future.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Mathias, We are remaining on prem, we are just doing an upgrade to the IFS cloud version.  The time is really spent on the data pump import.  Will the new repository type work in an on prem situation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yes:

It’s conceptually not very different from using the current FTP or Shared repository types in Docman. But I would recommend it anyway, since the former types will go away at some point, since they are not needed very much anymore.