Solved

Limiting document classes available when uploading files

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Please could someone point me in the right direction for this one ?

We’ve been live with Apps 10 for a few months, but we’re at an early stage with document management.

We’ve run into an interesting difficulty in managing access to uploaded files, which may be caused by a fundamental misunderstanding of how this stuff is supposed to work.

This is the current situation:

When someone wants to attach a file to a business object, they can choose from a drop-down list of document classes.

This creates an opportunity for errors. For instance, if someone uploads a product safety data sheet (for which everyone should have read access), but mistakenly select,  “Invoice” as the document class, then that file will be inaccessible to anyone outside of Finance

It could work the other way too, so a relatively confidential document could be mistakenly added using the document class “Safety Data Sheet”, which would mean anyone in the business could search for and view that file.

How I would like it to be:

Ideally, the document class(es) available when uploading a file would be limited by the type of business object. So, for instance, when uploading a product safety data sheet to an inventory part, the only document class available is “Safety Data Sheet”.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

icon

Best answer by EqeRobertK 3 January 2024, 13:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ACoxUK ,

There are some option in IFS10.

You can set a default value for the document class per objecte connection:

Now the default document class on an equipment object will be 100-3D. In the Object connection you can even set some logic. For equipment object for example, you can defien a different document class per site. Als depending on the format and language you can define different document classes. 

Besides that you can set an extra access on the document classes, so you can define if a user is allowed to use a specific document class:

So this means that you need to be in the goup Administration to create a document with document class 100. If you are not in the group,  you cannot select this document class.

In both option, also the help text can help you.

Hope this is an answer to your question,

Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I think Robert gave you some ideas there that should help you do what you want. If it's not enough, if you need even more control, you might want to install a custom event that prevents a user from connecting documents of certain classes to certain object types. Again, I hope the suggestions above is enough, and it's working "with the system" 🙂 

Badge +2

Hi Robert

Thanks, your first point is a big help. I’ve tried it in our environment and works well. I would prefer to block the other document classes; as it is, they’re still available via the 3 button menu, but setting the default is definitely an improvement

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Robert

Thanks, your first point is a big help. I’ve tried it in our environment and works well. I would prefer to block the other document classes; as it is, they’re still available via the 3 button menu, but setting the default is definitely an improvement

If that does not work, then users are purposefully selecting another document class, and perhaps they should be allowed to? Again, the custom event option is there to stop them completely from connecting documents of certain classes to certain objects.