Solved

How to use the direct link to download document file

• 30 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

How is the Send Document Link functionality supposed to be used? And, more exactly, the escape characters in the link? I’m testing this with a document class named ‘IPC REV’, thus with a space in it. The result is an url containing DocClass='IPC%2520REV' which does not work if I try it in the browser. 'IPC%20REV' works though. It looks as first the space is replaced by %20 and then the % is replaced by %25. Since this looks like it is done deliberately, what is the story?

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 30 August 2023, 18:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Kenneth,

The confusion is understandable 🙃 The "real" link that can be used in a web browser, as you say, should contain %20 only, where there is a space character. However, when we create the links for the email we need to double encode the URL, since we use the mailto protocol to open an email.

So there are two versions of each link, the one displayed in the web page and the one in the email.

Which one did you refer to and did you try the link after sending the email?

Perhaps there's a bug here since we probably haven't tested withbsoaves in the document class (a bad idea by the way, if you want to stay out of trouble 🙃).

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Mathias,

Thanks for your quick answer! I don’t think we will need to use spaces or other odd characters in our document classes or numbers. We just happened to test with one and realized that it did not work in the browser and that we did not understand why it looked that way. But of course it could also be good for you to test the escape functionality to see if it actually results in working urls.

/ Kenneth

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

If the links in the e-mail doesn't work, or if the links in the web page doesn't work, you can file a support case. The links in the web page is meant to be possible to copy. But I find it easier to pretend I want to send an e-mail and copy the links from there instead (since they are quite long, it's hard to select the text properly in the web page), if I want to place them somewhere else.