Solved

How to change document number?

• 25 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I’m quite new to IFS, sorry if this is an obvious topic.

I see that the IT department gets requests to change document numbers on documents in docman. (I would have thought the document controllers would handle this).

There seems to be no possibility to do this in the IFS UI.

Is there an easy way to change document numbers, or is the only option to update database records to change a document number?

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 25 June 2022, 13:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Just making sure that there is no confusion on your question, the document number is the unique identifier for the document, it is auto assigned by IFS when a new document is created.  

The document title can be adjusted depending on the status of the revision.  But the document number can’t be changed except at the database level.  Giiven it is the unique key for the table, you wouldn’t want it any other way.

I’m curious, what is the document number getting changed to when requested and why does the number matter?  Do you have a number counter setup that matters for some purpose?

Badge +2

If I understand it correctly, the document number is manually typed in when the document is created. I think the document number has some information encoded into it.

An example: JT01-KC-TP42-T-XE-0407-02

This contains a reference to the relevant project, and the construction area.

I’ve had a chat with a more experience engineer, and it turns out there is a script that edit the relevant database tables.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @HenningNT 

As @ShawnBerk mentioned it is not possible to change the document number of an existing document other than from the DB and that too is not recommended at all. However if you want to customize the document numbers (add a prefix / change the starting number) then you can define your own document number sequence for each class using number counter tab in document basic window. 

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @HenningNT 

If I understand it correctly, the document number is manually typed in when the document is created

You can type a value for document number if there does not exists a number counter defined for that class as I mentioned in the previous reply.

I think the document number has some information encoded into it.

An example: JT01-KC-TP42-T-XE-0407-02

This contains a reference to the relevant project, and the construction area.

Rather than typing this every time and change the last number, it is efficient to define a number counter with prefix as whatever you want and assign that to a specific doc class and use that class when you want to connect documents related to this project.

I’ve had a chat with a more experience engineer, and it turns out there is a script that edit the relevant database tables.

You can write a script to change the doc no of existing doc but there are several tables you need to change as doc no is used in few tables.

Thanks