Solved

Editable setting in Object Connection Transformations

• 13 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

I am looking for a better explanation of the settings for ‘Editable’ in Object Connection Transformations than what is provided in the F1 Help for Service Name = DocReferenceObject. Some examples would be beneficial also.

Scenario: I have a Source LU ‘A’ and a Target LU ‘B’. I connect a document revision to source LU ‘A’.

For each of the three possible values for ‘Editable’ (Source, Target, None):

• What am I able to do with documents at the Source, i.e., connect additional documents, detach documents, etc., and what effect does this have at the Target?
  • What am I not able to do with documents at the Source?
  • What am I able to do with documents at the Target, and what effect does this have at the Source?
  • What am I not able to do with documents at the Target?

My reason for asking this is the documentation provided on this attribute is provided below, with my additions entered in parentheses.

None - This indicates that the inherited object connection is read only and no new connections can be made. (cannot be made where? Source? Target? Both?).

Source - All new connections (made where?) will be registered for (on?) the Source LU. Any existing connections on the Source LU will be editable (aren’t they already editable?). All other connections (made where? Source? Target?) will be read only (where?). (Also confusing here is the use of ‘new’ and ‘existing’).

Target - All new connections (made where?) will be registered on the Target LU. Any existing connections on the Target LU will be editable (aren’t they already editable?). All other connections (made where? Source? Target?) will be read only (where?). This is the preferred mode if you want the user to be able to attach new object objections (attached where?). (Also confusing is the use of ‘new’ and ‘existing’).

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 19 August 2021, 11:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Here is the most detailed documentation we have on this topic:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/DefineSystemBasics/AboutObjectConnectionTrans.htm?StandAlone=true

I think it has some more details than what you cite above, for example the “where” question is answered there, I think.

I don’t like to repeat what is already there, but since it is important I will say this: Target is “where the user is”, always. The Source is “that other place” from which we also want to show documents (or media) from. This means that a user can never connect anything to the Source, because if they go to a screen that uses the Source LU, then that LU is suddenly the Target, in that context. Confusing? :)

The Editable attribute controls simply if the connection should be made to the Target or Source LU (or None, which is a bit special, not sure why it was added).

Read that document and let us know if something is missing or unclear so that we can make it better. It IS a quite advanced topic and sometimes confusing and hard to wrap your head around, but once you get the basics it is not that hard really.

/Mathias

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Mathias Dahl The link to the documentation described above is broken. Could you please provide the new link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Mathias Dahl The link to the documentation described above is broken. Could you please provide the new link?

Hi @ZTC ZTC JGOTA ,

Use below link.

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/21r1/DefineSystemBasics/AboutObjectConnectionTrans.htm?StandAlone=true

Thanks,