Question

E-mail handling in IFS Applications 10

• 20 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have a client with extensive requirements on handling emails in IFS Applications 10. The requirements can be divided in two separate things;

1. Storing emails as .msg documents connected to specific objects in IFS.
  2. Viewing the emails in an efficient way from the IFS entity the emails is connected to.

Requirement 1 above can be handled good enough but we face some challenges with the second requirement.

What the customer would like to do is to toggle between the connected emails and see a preview of the email content.

Have anyone came across a solution to this issue, a brilliant configuration, great third party tool or any other creative way of handling this?

The client is running IFS Aurena in IFS Applications 10.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for posting here.

I agree, it's your second requirement there that's the most challenging. There is no good solution for it out of the box I think. Even if I think about developing a new Aurena page for the specific purpose, it's tricky.

I just realized one possible solution that does not require a full-blown modification however, and that is to use the built-in file viewer in Aurena (it's used by the Documents and Media attachment panels in Aurena.)

It supports images, audio, video, PDF files and, this is where it gets interesting, text files. What if you could build a "thing" that would extract the textual content of an e-mail (the MSG file) and attach that too, as a plain text file? Then, from any page where attachments are available, the user would just activate the View command under Attachments / Documents and step through the e-mails (those that are text files, the others would be skipped). HTML files are also supported, as I remember it, and would make for even better formatting. Heck, I guess most e-mails nowadays uses HTML formatting, so that might give the best result.

The challenge is building and finding that "thing", but that's something you guys at Addovation excel at, I think :)

Food for thought, perhaps?

/Mathias