Question

Documents viewed remain in the temporary file

• 2 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

When we 'View' a document in IFS, it is being saved in the IFS checkout path e.g. for me, it is in my C drive, but the file is never deleted from that location. Can we remove the cache from IFS as we don't want these documents to be stored in a temporary file path upon viewing them?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for posting here.

As you have found out, the files you view are placed in what we call "the local check-out path", in a folder named "temp".

The idea is keeping files you check out for "viewing purposes" (view, print, etc.) separate from files you check out for editing. This allows you to either delete the "temp" folder manually or, using some script that runs at regular intervals, delete the folder automatically.

It's unfortunately not possible for us to know when the user has viewed the file, and deleting it automatically, for all possible file formats that we support (we would need to lock the files, which is not possible with all applications, and it would also lock up the IFS client in doing so.) The above solution was the best we could do given the constraints we have.

I hope this make sense.

Thanks!

/Mathias

Badge +2

Hi Mathias

Thank you for the prompt response to my first post in here.

Yes, that does make sense. We wanted to check this before we devised a manual solution, in case there was a setting we could change.

Regards

Lorraine