Solved

Document revision languages

• 24 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear community,

I’d like to know, if in DMS, we can manage different languages for the same doc_class / doc_no / doc_rev / doc_sheet ?

Our need is to have one document available in many languages.

I know that for the doc templates, we can have a different template based on the language and so, I thought that we could have such a flexibility behind a document revision…

We are using the version 8 but migrating to Cloud 22R2

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by MikeCH 24 March 2023, 14:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Carole,

To create different languages from the same document in the DMS, the best way is to create a new sheet:

This means doc_class / doc_no / doc_rev remain identical, doc_sheet is incremented. I hope this helps.

Regards, Mike

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks @MikeCH for your reply.

So, we are going to manage languages as per your suggestion.

Regards

Carole

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I'm glad to hear that. Don't forget to mark the question as "Done" 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Making use of the sheet concept, which is not very common I think, is a good idea here. It's made for scenarios like this when you want different content for the same document number/title without having to use revisions for that. Sheets are almost like different documents but still grouped under the same document number and using the same title.

So good suggestion by @MikeCH !

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

PS. You can read about how to create a new sheet here:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/CreateAndMaintainDocument/ActivityCreateNewSheet.htm?StandAlone=true

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Forgot to mention: you can even keep the language in the Doc Sheet column itself, which makes it very easy to find it when attached to objects.