Solved

Document Management Read log

• 6 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

In the Cloud we have a read log: 

Logging of reads, writes and deletes of document files. The log records can be found in the File Operation Log window under Basic Data. Event messages are also generated on reads, writes and deletions of document files such that event actions can be added to these events. An end-user can only see his own log records unless he has been granted the DOCMAN ADMINISTRATOR system privilege, when he can see every log record.

A document is "read" when a user in some way was able get a copy of the document file to his PC. Examples of operations in the application where this happens are edit (check out), view and print. A document was "written" when a user checks in a document file, either new or modified. A document was deleted when a user removes a document file.

Log records are by default saved in thirty (30) days, but this can be changed using the SYSCFG-Default Value SYSCFG_SOX_LOG_EXPIRE_DAYS. A batch job that deletes old records job is run once per day.

My question is: Has anyone managed to create a solution for an individual actually digitally acknowledging that they have read and understood a document? The log of “read” against a document is not this acknowledgement.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 6 September 2022, 22:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Have you looked at the document distribution functionality? It has a "mark as read" feature. Above is how it looks for the user that gets a document distributed to them.

Personally that's as good as it gets actually. I mean, how can we really know for sure a person has read a document? We can't. So, having the user say "Yes, I have" is the next best thing. And there is a record in the system of the document having been read. You can, if you like, combine this with the file operation log in some way to make sure the user at least tried to download a copy of it.

Badge +3

Great thanks @Mathias Dahl, I was hoping to try and sort without having to distribute, but as you say this is the best solution.

Regards

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

This is not what it's meant for, and it might not fit the customer needs, but did you consider using approval routing? Also, a custom field and a custom event might solve the requirement too.

Badge +3

Thanks @Mathias Dahl It looks like doc distribution will fit the customer needs at this point. I think approval routings would be too complex to maintain and it would be good to not have a custom field/event if we can help it.

The customer will model the doc distribution and also the read log as the combination of both seems to fit the bill.

Regards

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Mark,

I'm glad the suggestion will work for them. Thanks for reporting back!