Question

Document Management - Basic User access

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I am working on setting up Document Management in our company for Standard Operating Procedures.  The management part is working, but I am curious how other users are making the documents available to the basic users (operators, laborers, etc) with limited access.

Are you just managing the document revisions in Doc Mgmt and the publishing out to another location (Internal company webpage)?

Are you creating a custom lobby to present the documents in an “organized” manner?

Just looking for ideas from other users.  Thanks in advance.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It can be done by using a custom lobby. Infact, IFS Cloud has a standard Lobby page consists of different person-based lobby elements that can fit into this purpose. For example, ‘My Documents in Progress’, ‘My Recently Created/Modofied Documents” etc.etc. 

Please check,

Document Management > My Documents

Additionally, Document Folders Structures can also be an option here. Documents in that case grouped into different folders based on the person groups, departments etc.etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You can also create links to documents and keep them in some "intranet" page of your liking. The links can have different purposes: direct view of the document or take you to the document details page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

We keep the word/editable version of the document in document management, but then serve a copy of the document in pdf form to an internal sharepoint page.  We have 1800 employees, but less than 1000 of them are IFS users, nearly all are subject to the quality requirements. 

This combines the best of both worlds having a revision controlled document with limited access in IFS and which will allow a published version as well as a future version under edit.

There are several ways to do it as mentioned, I’m not sure one is better than the other, just needs adapted to your situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

We keep the word/editable version of the document in document management, but then serve a copy of the document in pdf form to an internal sharepoint page.  We have 1800 employees, but less than 1000 of them are IFS users, nearly all are subject to the quality requirements. 

This combines the best of both worlds having a revision controlled document with limited access in IFS and which will allow a published version as well as a future version under edit.

There are several ways to do it as mentioned, I’m not sure one is better than the other, just needs adapted to your situation.

@TTRACY 

What Shawn mention there is some own custom thing they have made. A customization/configuration/modification/integration thing... 🙂 IFS don't have a mechanism that does that.

@ShawnBerk 

How do you ensure that new revisions of the original generates a new "view copy" in SharePoint? 🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Mathias Dahl 

Not trying to be cheeky, but it is just two clicks.

We simply export the file as pdf as part of a release process (manual). 

No “customization/configuration/modification/integration thing” is involved, you’re right IFS is limited in its ability to manage this in a more sophisticated manner, but it isn’t required.  We’re not talking thousands of documents, we’re talking 100-200 that don’t change rapidly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Mathias Dahl

Not trying to be cheeky, but it is just two clicks.

We simply export the file as pdf as part of a release process (manual). 

No “customization/configuration/modification/integration thing” is involved, you’re right IFS is limited in its ability to manage this in a more sophisticated manner, but it isn’t required.  We’re not talking thousands of documents, we’re talking 100-200 that don’t change rapidly.

Haha, no cheekiness taken 🙂 I'm all for the power of a few manual clicks. But I'm used to users complaining about every little bit of "manual" work. If you have a manual process that works for you, all the power to you. Nothing to maintain, just remember to do that thing every now and then.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Appreciate the feedback.  All good ideas!  I will test out a couple of them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Mathias Dahl 

How do you create the links for the documents or is there any documentation somewhere explaining this for IFS Cloud?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

There is a command (Send Document Link) in the Document Revision page/screen in all recent IFS Apps or IFS Cloud releases. Use it to create an e-mail for you, and copy the link you want to use from there (there are several options).

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @TTRACY  This is basic point as I understand it you want to access the documents other users (operators, laborers, etc.). So, in doc basic uses the access template with limited access screenshot is attached. In access template search document class then gave access. 

Thanks & Regards,

Zuhaib
IFS Consultant
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/