Question

Document Management and Snowflake

• 13 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

We have a customer who wants to capture really large files from Technical inspections - typically Videos and high resolution images.

They have an option on running this on Appl 10, but eventually will have to move this to IFS Cloud.

The files also needs to be shared with external parties on inspections where thrid party contractors are involved and the files needs to be accessible from with IFS Document Management if possible.

Question is if we somehow can use a shared location for this - customer has asked if Snowflake could be a supported platform.

I am not an expert in technical file sharing - so here is my question :-:

• I know we can store large files on shared locations - but does this also cover solutions like snowflake?
  • If a file is entered via document management and stored on a shared location - can we then also share access to the file from share directly to external parties - like e.g. allowing a contractor to view a video stored in Snowflake (or similar) directly - as well as letting a customer view via Docman?
  • Do we have limitations on shared locations in relation to IFS Cloud and Aurena Agent?

/kim

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

> I know we can store large files on shared locations - but does this also cover solutions like snowflake?

No. In IFS Cloud 22R2, using Remote deployment, we support Database, FTP and Shared ("Windows network shares"). That's it. Going forward, there will be support for IFS Cloud File Storage (FS) as well, in Remote deployment, if you want to keep files outside the database. Eventually we want to get rid of FTP and Shared repositories since the FS can do what we want.

> If a file is entered via document management and stored on a shared location - can we then also share access to the file from share directly to external parties - like e.g. allowing a contractor to view a video stored in Snowflake (or similar) directly - as well as letting a customer view via Docman?

You/they can of course "share the share", using whatever means they want, but it does not strike me as a good idea. It is better to require them to have accounts (perhaps a shared one?) at IFS such that they can download things through IFS Cloud/Aurena the standard way. Possibly you/they can build something (a web frontend) that is not Aurena and put that in front of an Aurena projection which downloads the file for them.

> Do we have limitations on shared locations in relation to IFS Cloud and Aurena Agent?

Not really. The Aurena client as well as the Aurena Agent does not know where the file is stored in the backend, and "does not care".

If they go for our managed cloud offering, there is only the Database and FS option they can use for document storage. FS is for sure a cost-effective option then, and can handle as large files as we need. Still I don't know if it is suitable for managing high volumes of video (whatever high volumes mean and whatever we think of as large). And, the user would definitely need to go through IFS Cloud to get at the file (unless, again, some frontend is built

CC 

@chanaka-shanil 

@ianm 

@Tim Jenner