Question

Docman: set Defaut Edit AAccess instead of Admin Acess Level for user who created document

• 13 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi
is it possible to set Edit Access as default access instead of Admin Acess Level for the user who created the document

Is there a projection or permissionSet set somewhere in permissionSets to change ?

Thanks

Regards

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Djedai,

The document responsible person (person who created the document) always has administrator access.

As per my knowledge there’s no other means of fetching the admin access by default.
The administrator can Change Document Access, Change Document Status or Delete the document.

A user can get access from many sources with different levels

• Personal Access
  • Group Access
  • Object Access

And also, we can define access via

• Document revision
  • Access template
  • Object access.

And to have unrestricted access to all documents,
There is a functionality called ‘DOCMAN ADMINISTRATOR’. To enable this privilege ‘DOCMAN ADMINISTRATOR’ can be assigned for one or more permission sets.

whether user is an admin or not can be clearly identify by check box visible in user settings.

Hope this will helps you

Best Regards,
Roshan

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Djedai,

Please find below workaround to give Edit access instead of Admin access.

This way you will be able give another person Admin access and to get document created person Edit access.

My Login User : ALAIN

Steps:

1. In Document Revision window at ACCESS tab add another person and give Admin access.
    (New person: EAM4 User ID: EAM4)

2. Change/Settings >> Change Responsible Person

3. Change Responsible person to new person (EAM4)

4. Then you will see previous responsible person (ALAIN) automatically removed from the Access.

1. Then again you can Add previous user (ALAIN) and give only Edit Access.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Djedai,

If you have large number of documents to change the document access level from ‘Admin’ to ‘Edit’.

You can use below method to change responsible person.

1. Go to Document Revision window and select the regarding documents
    (As you can see now the responsible person is EAM4)
  2. Then Change/Settings >> Change Responsible Person

3. Select the new user (User ID: ALAIN) you want to give the responsibility and click OK

4. Then you will see the responsible person was changed in previous selected documents.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Djedai 

is it possible to set Edit Access as default access instead of Admin Acess Level for the user who created the document

As Roshan has already replied, no, this is not possible. It would not make much sense I think, to not have the responsible person as an admin for a document they just created. The command he mention is meant to be used when the person that creates the document is not the one that should own it, or be responsible for it. But it’s important, in my view, that the RP themselves executes it.

I didn't think long about it and I don't have a recipe, but it might be possible to have a custom event do this for you.

What's your use case here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

thanks for your Answer
The case is : if a user is Admin on the doc : he can detach/remove any  step in approval tab,. It should not be allowed to , why defining Approval model with steps when the user who put the document in the application can modify the approval steps and do what he wants ?

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yes, he can do what he wants. However, if he modifies the approval template such that he can more easily approve it, it will be tracked, right? So, the way I see things, he will not get away with something like that.

If you want to stop people from removing approval steps, perhaps that's what you should focus on instead. Probably you can do it with a custom event.