Solved

Default doc class for different user groups

• 29 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi All,

Customer have different user groups for eg. AP, AR, BILLING etc.  So is there a way we can default the document class when specific user group tries to create a document ?  

For eg. when AP creates a document, can the document class defaults to INVOICE and if AR creates it then defaults to VOUCHER etc.

I assume the document default value setup is enterprise level.  So what is happening now is that the document class always defaults to 'INVOICE' for all the users because our document basic setup default value is 'INVOICE'.   Each user user group has to take an extra step to change the document class when they try to create a document and Customer is trying to minimize that step.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Nipun

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 30 October 2021, 01:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I don’t think there is an out of the box method to do this, but you could have an equivalent New document attachment method created with a custom button to initiate the attachment function.  Within this method, analyze per user which group they are in (would need to be only 1), then have a custom field related to the Person Group which sets a default document class per group.

OR

a much simpler solution is to remove the default document class so that it isn’t forced to the users and teach them to select the correct class, I would find it quite rare that each user only ever uses one document class.  We did have to create a custom event based on a custom logical unit to prevent improper document class to object connections, but we’ve not seen the need to default each user to only one document class.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

I've been thinking of adding some feature to make the default document class config more flexible but we don't yet have anything that would do what you ask for.

May I ask why they think a more fine grained configuration would help them? Isn't it the content of the document that should determine which class to use? In Apps 10 we have a way to set a different class depending on what the object on the screen is.

If some users should not be creating documents of certain classes they can control that with basic data. A custom event could do it also, and even with greater flexibility.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I don’t think there is an out of the box method to do this, but you could have an equivalent New document attachment method created with a custom button to initiate the attachment function.  Within this method, analyze per user which group they are in (would need to be only 1), then have a custom field related to the Person Group which sets a default document class per group.

OR

a much simpler solution is to remove the default document class so that it isn’t forced to the users and teach them to select the correct class, I would find it quite rare that each user only ever uses one document class.  We did have to create a custom event based on a custom logical unit to prevent improper document class to object connections, but we’ve not seen the need to default each user to only one document class.

Thank you very Much. Issue sorted

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Nipun Gunaratne Which solution did you go for?