Question

Convert filetype DOC and XLS in DOCMAN to DOCX and XLSX

• 22 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Our customer is in APPS8 and they require to convert file type DOC and XLS in DOCMAN to DOCX and XLSX for existing documents. The reason why they want to change is that old file type could be a security risk and are sometimes blocked by Onedrive. Therefore, the customer thinks the only reliable solution is to convert file types to DOCX and XLSX.

Is there a recommended mechanism/process to get this done? Appreciate any input.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @anralk 

There is no straightforward way to do this as far as I know. You would need to download the files from the repo then change the file extension and re upload them. If the number of documents are high this could be very tedious task

Thanks

Badge +2

Hi, 

There 4000+ documents so some sort of a mechanism is needed. 

I will check more. Thanks for input!

/Anjana

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @anralk 

probably the quickest way would be to write a VB Script that would do a bulk open, save (in new format), close operations. Here’s an example for Word 2016, but I’m pretty sure something similar would work for newer versions.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/bulk-convert-doc-files-to-docx-in-word-2016/1c5628bc-c2ea-4072-bb25-56eae952d2c5

/Przemek

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@anralk Did you decided on a way forward on this one? None of the built in features will help much here I think, because of the large number of records. I think something custom is needed. A database script to change the file types plus some other kind of script to do the download, conversion and upload. If the files are stored in an FTP or Shared folder, an admin might be able to access them and run a VBScript like mentioned above.

Badge +2

@Mathias Dahl I have explained the process to customer. They will decide and let me know if they wish to get this done.

In case we need to do this, I have an understanding on the process/steps so would take it from there. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Good luck!

Badge +2

I have the same request from one of my customers.
They have the documents stored in the database, so I guess the process should be:
Extract BLOB to DOC on file.
Convert/rename from DOC to DOCX
Import back to IFS Docman and BLOB.
How do this and still keep the references to records in the applications?
@anralk Did you proceed with this for your customer? 
Any ideas are very welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I don't know if there is any existing projection that will let you change the file type, which you need to do here since it's nothing we support as part of any screen. So you either build a projection of your own to allow this, if you want to use a REST call, or you find a way to call PL/SQL code to do the work.

Another way is to delete the file reference and the file from the document revision, then upload the new, converted, file. This can probably be done by using standard projections.

Good luck!