Solved

Changing the Document Class for a set of documents after a perticular date

• 7 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We are planning to change a Doc Class via a script for a set of documents checked in after 1-1-2015.

Is this possible? 

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 10 March 2024, 18:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

We don't have any feature to change the document class of a document. Since the class is one of the keys that uniquely identifies a document, and many related tables also have them, it's sort of a messy thing.

Some customers have developed customizations that runs around and changes the class in a lot of table. If this is important to you you can also create one. Or develop a script, or even a custom event that does the work. In a way, it's not hard, but you need to identify all tables that you have data in and which has DocClass as a key or another attribute. Things becomes harder if you have also printed the document class into the document files...

If you don't have too many, one workaround is to use the Copy Document Title command, and change the class in the copy, then remove the old document.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks @Mathias Dahl 

I was just speaking to my colleague and he only claified what excatly he wanted, sorry - this is the real requeirement:

In one Doc Class, we have quite a lot of Docs, approximately 3 TB. So his plan is to create a new Document Repocitory and move those docs into it without changing the Doc Class (or maybe after creating a new class - whatever is easier) However, he plans to do it for only a part of all those docs in the original class. So the real requirement is changing the repocitory only for the docs created (or checked in) after a perticular date in that class. Do you think that’s possible? Do you recommend we create a case for IFS Support to discuss the complete requirement? 

Thanks alot Matthias

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Asela Munasinghe 

Thanks!

If it's an on-premise installation where you are in control of the repository storage location and if you have access to the database, it's not terribly hard to move part of the documents. You need to:

0. Create a new repository (I assume FTP or Shared)
1. Move the files for some of the documents to the new storage location
2. Update the file pointers (EdmFile table) of the documents that was moved. Update the LocationName and possibly also the Path. FileName should probably be the same. The repository details are stored in EdmLocation and EdmLocationUser.

You can try to get help from our support, but I doubt they will take it on as a support issue, but possibly as a paid service.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks @Mathias Dahl