Solved

21R2: DOCMAN Digital Signature is not working

• 30 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello, everyone!

Is anyone familiar with IFS Cloud 21R2's digital signature feature in Document Management?

I was trying the below steps to setup the digital signature.

• Created a new document using the above document class with the document number DS_<USERNAME>, where <USERNAME> will be the name of the IFS User.
  • Added a new custom event action to the system defined event ā€œDOCUMENT_APPROVEDā€.
  • Added a Keystore with self-signed certificateĀ YFgqUK6ALbNxA2lh3_1g-hf8angt9Ys6MvtYrHMUxB_ZOJAOaoYWosy53jHo86TnhESG7T_uOc85JqvnBQ-Gw3XaxPS5Xynr-vN7TOuTDObnWlIS0SadsQ4Jtj_K6rw8iW9Iv3CGI9HUhyZb2Blh8aA
  • When approving the document, it created anĀ application message with message function ā€œDOCMAN_DIG_SIGNā€

The application message is keep failing even though the input data is passing properly.

DOCMAN_DIG_SIGN.json

The history is getting updated in the document revision even though the signature has not been attached to the pdf.

I hope somebody can give us a word of advice on this matter.

@deshan.ekanayakeĀ @Mathias DahlĀ 

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by wanodya94 30 August 2022, 14:29

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi All,

I was able to resolve this issue by myself.

To resolve this issue, I had to create a person for the IFSCONNECT user and connect it to the document revision access.

Thank You!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I'm glad you were able to sort it out. Were you able to get a PDF file signed?

I need to tell you something that may disappoint: even if you succeed in signing the PDF, you will not be able to sign it with a specific user's own certificate. The reason is that we use IFS Connect to call the "signature engine" and it does so not on behalf of the end user but on behalf of the user that IFS Connect executes as (probably IFSCONNECT in your case).

There might be a few use cases where it's okay that all PDFs are signed using, in this case, IFSCONNECT's certificate, but in most cases I think it's not very useful.

This is a known limitation that we hope will be removed at some point but we don't know when that will be.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Mathias,

I was able to get the logged in user's signature.Ā šŸ˜€

Since it will pick the signature dynamically based on the logged in user, I added the approver's name in the reason field.

Thank You!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Haha, okay šŸ™‚ I guess that is one way of doing it.

The idea is that each end user, who will use this functionality, will have their own certificate. Then, it's truly that user that has signed the document. Even if you include the logged in username in the Reason field, I think some might not accept that as being the correct way to sign "as that user".

On the other hand, if the customer is happy with this, then all is good šŸ™‚

Thanks for posting about this, it might help others too to use this functionality, even if it is currently limited.

Ā 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @wanodya94Ā @Mathias DahlĀ 

This topic is of much interest to my client here. Is there a document that can be shared , on how to configure this as a standard.Ā 

Just curious, if this is a standard function of IFS apps 10 upd 18 , or is this only available in IFS Cloud

Regards

Vivek

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @VivekBhandiwadĀ 

Digital signature functionality exists in APPS10 as well. Please see below from our help doc.

Keystores & Digital Signatures (ifs.com)

You can use custom events (Ex approval of a document) to trigger the digital signing of a document and there are various methods already implemented for you to use in your event action.

Please read below thread as well as it has great deal of details regarding the same.

Digital Signature in Docman | IFS Community

Ā 

BR

Badge

Hi @Mathias Dahl,

Coud you please let me know if there is a plan to overcome these limitations and allow digital signatures to be used for personal certificates in the future IFS Cloud updates. If so, would you be able to specify the versions where this feature will beĀ present.

Thank you!

Best regards,

SahanĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

HiĀ @Mathias Dahl,

Coud you please let me know if there is a plan to overcome these limitations and allow digital signatures to be used for personal certificates in the future IFS Cloud updates. If so, would you be able to specify the versions where this feature will beĀ present.

Thank you!

Best regards,

SahanĀ 

I don't know if it's in their (framework/platform) roadmap or not. Perhaps you can file an idea request here on IFS Community about it? What you want to ask for is a feature in IFS Connect that allows us to use it to call projections as if it was the end user doing so. We usually call it impersonification.