Question

Update Customer Order Line Number

• 10 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Good Morning, 

We are currently on IFS EE 10 Update 14.  The current system default for entering lines on a CO is 1, 2, 3, etc.  I know you can change the line number when adding the line if needed but I would like to know if you can change the defaults.  We would like to change to 10, 20, 30, etc on both the Customer Order and Sales Quote.

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Sorry, but we have no user setting for this.   No user setting would drive a 10, 20, 30, 40 type concept. 

Just wondering - why the request?    

If you include the reason for the request, we can probably provide a solution (other than order lines, 10, 20, 30, 40 etc.).  

Best regards

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Afternoon @Thomas Peterson

The situation arises where we want to quote the same parts in IFS but in a particular order.  Below is a simple scenario with 3 lines.

Example: Line 1 - Goulds Part

Line 2 - Goulds Pump

Line 3 - Goulds Part

In this scenario, the we would want the Goulds Part to be lines 1 & 3 but IFS will immediately move this to line 2 since it is the same part as line 1.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Entering line numbers by 10s instead of 1s is a common method of managing routing steps so that other steps can be inserted in between if needed without changing the position of the existing ones.

Some companies do the same with customer order lines, purchase order lines, or even shop order lines.  Some of it is merely visual, but occasionally there are functional reasons where the data ties into other systems.  There can be a variety of reasons really.

I’ve seen older SAP installations work in this manner, though I’m not sure if the current SAP HANA offering still allows it.

The only real use case is being able to designate the increment when new lines are added, so finding an alternate solution isn’t likely as flexible to cover all the generic reasons..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

In my apps 10 test I had structured the quote as part 1, part 1, part 2, part 1.   The quote set the final part 1 record as order line 1, release 3, but I copied that and created a new quote line 4 line 4.   The resulting customer order followed that exact same numbering that was on the quotation, my 4th quotation line even though it was part 1, stayed with customer order line 4.  

It appears that if your quote is structured how you want it to appear, the resulting order will follow. 

Best regards