Question

IFS Data Migration Tool Future

• 15 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 0 replies

Hi IFS,

There is a rumour that IFS migration tool will be removed from future IFS Cloud versions . Could someone verify this ? If yes, would you be able to share the timeline ?

Thank you,

Rohana.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @ron,

In another community post I found following information:

Hi Isuru,

I’m Eric Heinze the product manager for the data management products which includes the data migration tool.  The missing replication functionality is not a defect the feature of replication was obsoleted in the Data Migration Tool for IFS Cloud. 

Our long-term plan is to deprecate the entire Data Migration Tool in a future release and replace it with the “Data Migration Manager” (formerly know as the Smart Data Manager).  The Data Migration Manager is a superior tool and has a lot more capability and will continue to be developed and supported into the future.  Functionality similar to the replication process is under consideration for the Data Migration Manager in a future release. 

Can you explain the customers requirement for this functionality?  How are they using the feature in their implementation?

Regards,

Eric T. Heinze

Product Manager

Workflow, Data and IoT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Isuru,

We don’t have a specific date for when it will be deprecated.  However, I would like to deprecate the older Data Migration Tool sometime in late 2023 put again I won't do that until we have similar functionality in the Data Migration Manager (DMM). We do not want to support two tools that have the same purpose.  We are currently lacking a few major features such as the ability to use the Excel Add-in.  The plan is to ensure that the functionality in the  DMM can meet the requirements of the older Data Migration Tool.  We have a roadmap that enhances the DMM to the point where the functionality is the same or similar.  There is a team from consulting that I work with to ensure we have the functionality covered and they are providing input to the DMM roadmap. 

Regards,

Eric

BR
Martina

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

On another post:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/030_administration/050_data_management/080_data_migration_manager/

This is from 22r1. I am using 23r1 but I can only see the old Data Migration Tool. There is no Smart Data Manager. Any ideas?

Application service update: 23.1.6

IFS Cloud Web version: 23.1.6.20231004085028.0

IFS OData provider version: 23.1.6.20231004114806.0

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@GDrysdale it’s no longer called Smart Data Manager. You will find it under Data Migration Manager.