Question

Data Migration Manager - Connect to external database

• 27 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 17 replies

Hi,

I’m looking into the Data Migration Manager component and am looking for a way to migrate data from an external database into IFS Cloud. I took a look at the online documentation and it mentions that in the process of defining a Migration Project, there is a section where you can connect to an environment using a Database Link, which will be created by Cloud Operations in the application.

Does anybody have a guide on how exactly we would create or define this Database Link?

If I wanted to connect to an external database for data migration, is using the Database Migration Manager the correct process? If so, how does this process work? If not, what is the correct process?

Any insights would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi

database links from external systems are not allowed to an IFS Managed Cloud system. 
The mentioned database links are only created within PROD system to lower database (e.g. CFG or UAT).
It's not allowed to create datababase links between lower databases (e.g. between CFG and UAT) or from lower database to high database (e.g. CFG to PROD)

The data load will be performed in Data Migration Manager by using the legacy data load functionality which requires a flat file (csv or txt)

If a database link in PROD is missing for a lower database (CFG, ...) a ticket via customer support portal must be created to the cloud team. The cloud team will then setup the database link (based on mentioned conditions before)

Badge +7

@Makede Thanks for the response.

In the scenario where a customer has millions of records to migrate to IFS Cloud, is the CSV or TXT data load functionality the only option or are there other viable options?

Badge +2

Hi @mtoca ,you can use migration jobs in Solution Manager > Data Management > Data Migration > Migration Job

You can create job to migrate data to concrete view in IFS Cloud.

If you use procedure name MIGRATE_SOURCE_DATA you can connect to external database, with procedure EXCEL_MIGRATION yiu can use excel add-in to migrate data in and out from view.

You must only create database link in your environment database to external database.

Then in source name enter “TABLE_NAME@DB_LINK_NAME”.

You can handle multiple views with method list, but i never tried this.

BR

LW