Question

Changing Units of Measure

• 18 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello; 

I’m new to IFS & I’m quite surprised at the difficulty there is in changing a unit of measure. I’m a designer, & a portion of my former company was acquired by another who uses IFS. In the process there was a lubricant that got transferred & the unit of measurement was a pail. I’m not sure what the correct unit is but that wasn’t the unit it was supposed to be. Instead of being able to correct the unit, my main division of the company is saying the only thing we can do is create a new part no. with the correct unit of measure. This lubricant is used all over the place in 103 boms & 93 drawings which would have to be changed. Is this a limitation with IFS, & if it is, why would it be. I believe with our former system using CMS, we would have just revised the unit, & been done with it. I should add, it has already been used which seems to make it more of an issue.

Thanks for any input in advance. 

SonDrum

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

It is a pain. Only help I can give is that you could create the new part with the correct UoM.

You could then use the Phase Out function to replace the old Part with the new Part:

Engineering\Structure\Phase Out or Replace Structure Component

No help for the Drawing though :-(

Cheers,

Graham

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It is a frustration. Before our update and cleanse we had as many parts obsoleted due to incorrect or outdated UOMas parts that were live.

The only time you can change UOM is via master part with no stock/ history/ transactions or orders linked. So only can be caught and amended at the very start of the process. 

Hello again; 

We’ll we’re at another location then our cooperate company, but it definitely seems like we’ll be changing those 103 boms, & 93 drawings, as well as the part no. Not knowing a whole lot about the system, the question remains why would they box users in like that. I mean it doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult to say I’d like to change my unit of measure, & just be able to change it with a revision from this point onward & be done with it. Perhaps there’s a good reason, but it’s a head scratcher. 

I appreciate the insights, & expressing the pains, & frustrations with it. You’d think they might find it valuable to give updates with work arounds or capabilities of doing this. 

Thanks for the input; 

Sondrum

Badge

Yeah I recently made a bunch of parts and for some reason we have two different UoM’s, one is “EA” and the other is “ea”.  I picked the wrong one, and now I cannot change any of the parts I made which was dozens and have to go remake all of them.  Please fix this.  Why must little changes be the hardest part of IFS.