Question

MS logic generates double supply

• 2 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

If a shop order scheduled to be completed after a customer order is due, MS generates a new shop order req. MRP logic would create an action proposal to move in the late order, not generate a new requisition. Why doesn’t MS logic work the same way? How do I get MS proposals to not generate double supply without planning strictly by MRP? These parts are forecasted and we still want forecast to generate reqs. 

In this example, there is no forecast, but one open customer order. The shop order is scheduled 1 day late so MS generates an additional req.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We have experienced the same problem in the past, did you manage to identify the cause?

regards

Jamie

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a solution to this. It seems this is just the logic of MS vs MRP. I don’t understand why it would be different, but it is. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Eric,

I see that you have set Planning Timefence (PTF)  to 0 days.

In master scheduling the master scheduler is KING, in MRP, the algorithm is KING. I as a master scheduler can decide to schedule a supply prior a marketing campaign, to build up inventory, or just to level the production. In MRP it is always chase strategy.

As you know we don’t have the rescheduling proposals in MS. But yeah… I kind of agree that it would be good to have something similar based on selected options, that MS could behave more like MRP. We have thought about it, but it is not on our “short term list” to fix it. But it is good that you brought this up.

-Mats