Solved

Shop Order outside service lot size issue

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I have noticed an issue with Shop Orders that require an outside service. Often times we may choose to over run a shop order. So, an SO may start with an original Lot Size of 100, however we will run 150 parts. The issue with this practice is that the connected Purchase Order for the outside service does not increase to match the new lot size. I have reviewed the help section in IFS, but I do not see where or if the ability exists to ensure the PO increases with SO quantity. 

When this issue occurs, we are unable to receive all of the parts in from the supplier. We will then have to manually adjust the PO to match the qty, which causes significant administrative overhead. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Thushitha Chandrasiri 20 May 2021, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @cjohnson ,

If it is not a concern of the qty in the purchase order line of the PO, you can allow the certain purchase part/parts (the outside item) to be allowed to be over-received with the setting in the Purchase Part.

Then, the user can receive the actual qty without changing the qty in the purchase order line.

Thank you and Best Regards

Thushitha

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @cjohnson ,

And also, a custom event and event action can be defined to update the purchase qty of the connected purchase order lines to the new lot size, whenever the Lot size is changed in the shop order, if there is a connected purchase order line.

Thushitha

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ThushAsanka We do have Do no Perform Check set on the purchase parts with outside services, however we are still seeing the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @ThushAsanka We do have Do no Perform Check set on the purchase parts with outside services, however we are still seeing the issue. 

Hi @cjohnson ,

Have you checked whether the Over delivery setting is set as blank in the particular purchase part record ?

Thushitha

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ThushAsanka yes, that setting is blank on all of our Purchase Part records.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @ThushAsanka yes, that setting is blank on all of our Purchase Part records.

Hi @cjohnson ,

And with that setting, the system does not allow you to receive more qty than specified in the purchase order line ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@ThushAsanka Yes, this is what we see when the operator ships the qty:

The PO does not update to reflect the over reported qty, which is causing issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@ThushAsanka Yes, this is what we see when the operator ships the qty:

The PO does not update to reflect the over reported qty, which is causing issues. 

@cjohnson , Yes, as this information message says, when the Lot size is changed after the PO is created, it does not update the PO line qty.

What I mentioned earlier is; although the purchase order line qty is not updated, you can receive the PO with the changed Lot size quantity (this causes over receiving  of the PO line). So, the received qty is different than the PO qty (but similar to the Shop order lot size).

If the PO line qty needs to be automatically updated when changing the Shop Order Lot Size, you have to go with a custom event as I suggested in a earlier reply in this thread.

Thushitha

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@ThushAsanka Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I believe they would need to match, as there would be a discrepancy regarding the PO and the number of parts actually receiving the outside service. In the test example, 20 were shipped and received, however the PO only recognizes the original lot size of 10:

Would this line not have to be re-opened and the qty corrected to 20 to ensure the cost for the outside service was correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@ThushAsanka Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I believe they would need to match, as there would be a discrepancy regarding the PO and the number of parts actually receiving the outside service. In the test example, 20 were shipped and received, however the PO only recognizes the original lot size of 10:

Would this line not have to be re-opened and the qty corrected to 20 to ensure the cost for the outside service was correct?

Hi @cjohnson ,

I think the cost consider the received qty, since the cost is based on transactions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@ThushAsanka Ok, so regardless of they PO line qty, the Purchase Transaction History would reflect the actual cost of the over received parts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@ThushAsanka Ok, so regardless of they PO line qty, the Purchase Transaction History would reflect the actual cost of the over received parts?

@cjohnson Yes, you are correct

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@ThushAsanka Thank you very much!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Let me give you this scenario.

• The outside processor receives many of the part to be processed on several PO’s for Several shop orders
  • We send let’s say 4500 pieces on a shop order with a lot size of 5000 because we ran out of material.
  • However, the outside processing supplier processes these 4500 pieces but has 500 pieces lying around that he did for another shop order and ships those, too
  • So now we want to register 5000 pieces on the shop order for 4500
  • Wouldn’t the system balk at trying to receive more than what was sent?
  • How will the outside operation be update with the completed quantity
  • Now that I have 5000 pieces left to process on a shop order for which I only produced 4500, how will the subsequent operations be affected?
  • Wouldn't we just, at the end of the shop order, just over receive the shop order?

I just mention this if you have already done this so I don’t have to try and set this up myself.  Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

UPDATE - We have written a custom event that will automatically update the connected PO to match the reported qty of the Shop Order with the outside operation. This has dramatically reduced our administrative time required to manually correct POs with qty discrepancies.