Question

Shipment ID's on Freight Purchase orders

• 23 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi all,

We are looking to find the “recommended solution” or best way to do this on apps10 as im sure someone would have come across this problem.

The issue is linking shipment ID’s or Customer orders to Freight purchase orders so we can track PO spending on freight companies against what the customer gets charged etc etc.

For example; 1 customer order is converted into a shipment and then a PO is later manually raised which contains the freight cost depending on the company being used but there is no link between the Freight purchase order and the original order/shipment.

Shipments can contain multiple customer orders for the SAME customer.

Freight Purchase orders can contain multiple lines for different customers & orders.

Customer orders can contain multiple freight line charges depending on order size.

One PO line can have multiple shipment ID’s but only be for the same customer.

Current thinking is to have a custom field on purchase order no part tab for customer order no whereby each line is assigned. However this would be a manual task and writing validation against it is not bullet proof as there is limited data to link the two together.

Im aware we can peg a customer order line to PO but i dont think this would solve this problem and be user friendly. Happy to be corrected of course.

Other thinking was to an event that auto generated the PO depending on freight supplier with a rmb and inserted into the PO the customer order no in a new cf line. Just seems excessive.

So any thoughts/ ideas for a holy grail solution would be appreciated.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @DBowden 

Noticed this 2 month old post and thought of sharing my perspective if it’s still a requirement. (Better late than never right?) 

If I understood correctly, what you plan to have is a ‘Spend Analysis’ in IFS for the PO charge type = freight charges only, every time its associated with a PO lines that have the Demand Code Customer Order Transit, right (here the external CO no is fetched into the PO line since the Shipment ID is not fetched)? 

Also do you usually connect charge lines to a PO Part Order lines when adding freight charges? 

Please let me know and I will try to suggest a solution with IFS10 capabilities. 

Cheers

Enzo

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I’m not sure whether you can achieve this with current design of Standard App10 Application.

However, Transport Order functionality in Advanced Supply Chain extension, which is heavily used by automotive industry, is capable of  fulfilling this requirement.

Transport Order, which is a purchase order created with connection to Shipment, can be used to purchase the transport service from the freight forwarder and to allocate the total costs of the transport to the consignments/shipments based either on the volume or weight of the consignment/shipment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi again @DBowden , assuming your answers to my questions above are ‘yes’ and also assuming the Invoicing Supplier in the PO line is as same as in the Charge line, I figured that this Spend Report can be created through IFS Business Reporter. 

Its easy - all you have to do is create 2 Information Sources each for PO line and the Charge line, then add a filter for the Demand Code (as mentioned above) and Charge Type as desired, drag and drop the columns you need from each of the 2 information sources selected. Please let me know if you need further details on how to run this Spend Report in IFS BR.