Question

MRP Action Proposals - Supplier Field blank?

• 1 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

While utilizing the MRP Action Proposals I do not see a Supplier showing up in the the “Supplier” column for many of the different MRP Messages.  For example, I have an Inventory Part with one supplier up on the Supplier for Purchase Part page, and when MRP runs the Action Proposal says “needs orders” but the Supplier doesn’t show up.  If I right click and select the “Follow Up” option the correct Supplier appears in the Purchase Requisition Lines, which is a good thing, but why doesn’t the Supplier automatically show up (as a suggestion) in the Action Proposals page?  

Is there a setting that I may be missing to have the Action Proposal indicate the Primary Supplier from the Supplier for Purchase Part page? 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Only certain MRP Messages will present information in the MRP Source field and beyond - this is because it is information that is in progress, rather than future information or actions required.  The MRP Action Proposals isn’t a place to start as a suggestion for what to do, it is a secondary check AFTER you’ve managed the requisition screens.  If you’ve processed all requisitions, you should rarely have a Needs Order message.  That usually means something has blocked the requisition which is why it is a backup check.

MRP Action Proposals - Source columns

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

In MRP Action Proposals window we have messages that are related to “inventory part level” and there are other messages are pointing to a specific order. As Shawn indicates, you get more information for an MRP message that is pointing to a specific order.
Examples of MRP messages that are associated with an order number:

• Early Order
  • Late Order
  • Remove Order
  • Demand is Past Due
  • Supply is Past Due
  • Plan Supply is Past Due

(Actually above ones are in my eyes probably the most important MRP messages to focus on)

Examples of MRP messages that are related to an Inventory Part

• Need Orders - you get this message just one time per part even though MRP has created 123 PO Req Lines for your part
  • No Demand Exists - there is no gross requirement whatsover for the part
  • Available Covers - there are open supply order(s) for the part, but onhand qty is greater than total gross requirement and safety stock. Basically MRP is telling you to consider cancelling/reducing supply. Still you get this message just one time per part.

When it comes to your question about missing Supplier information for Need Orders… it is just a decision we taken some years back. We might add it in the future, so thank you very much for the input.

Keep on digging in MRP Action Proposals - understanding MRP and its messages is one of the tools of improving your business.