Solved

Move Reserved Stock Issue

• 29 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I’ve run into an issue while attempting to move reserved stock for a Purchase Receipt Return.  

Environment: 22R2 SU 5 and 23R1 core release (no SU applied)

Process steps:

1. Register Inspection Results on Receipt
  2. Specify Return for Credit
  3. Upon report return, a Shipment is created to return material to Supplier
  4. When I attempt to move this reserved stock to a different location, I get an error indicating that the material is reserved and I can’t move it

Misc Set-up:

• Move Reserved Stock: Allowed
  • Shipment Type: NP - Receipt Return is set to At Report Return (I’ve also tried not automatically creating the Shipment)

Why does the application prevent a material movement when the Site setting allows moving of reserved stock?

The business requirement requires material to be moved from one facility to an adjacent facility which will require two inventory moves - first to a staging location, then to the ultimate destination where it will get picked to the Shipment.  

Is this a bug or core functionality?  

Thanks.  

icon

Best answer by Fredrik Johansson LKP 15 August 2023, 16:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

Unfortunately Purchase Receipt Return reservations are not handled. In the process activity and in the field description for the field in the site  it says:

“it is only applicable to customer order, shop order, DOP, material requisition, project deliverable and project miscellaneous demand reservations.”

This has never been supported by the old functionality either i.e. Supplier Shipment. The replacement of the Supplier Shipment with the normal Shipment was done in a short time frame so we had to do some limitations and also due to complexity/risk. Besides we were not sure about the need for this, now obviously you have a need. This could be a potential idea for the future in the product roadmap. In recent versions we have done a concept called multi-leg inbound logistics, where you receive in one location but need to ship to the ultimate location. Seems like this is something similar but in the outbound?

One workaround that I might work to add an availability control ID (with applicable part control values) for the material to be return when it is on the arrival. Then you can use the normal move/ship functions in arrival for this material. Then after the move/ship is executed you can do return for credit action. Perhaps not the  nicest workaround?

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thank you for the reply, Fredrik, it’s appreciated.  

To give a bit more context on the business requirement, the process revolves around a Supplier return:

The warehouse personnel will find defective parts when picking parts for a shop order or when walking in the warehouse - or any in point in between.  

When the defect is found, the Quality team will create an NCR/MRB.  Once the quality inspection is completed, the disposition of the MRB will be to return the material to the supplier.

The team will navigate to the Receipt, specify the quantity to return and create a return to the supplier. 

This specific customer has two separate facilities which requires the material to be moved first before it is picked and shipped back to the supplier.

Seems the workaround for now is that material first needs to be moved, then the return needs to be initiated on the Receipt.  

Is this worth submitting to the idea wall or maybe it’s not requested often?

Regards,

Faraz

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

I have not heard this request that often to be honest. However it is not wrong to enter a request and then the product management can decide. It is kind of up tp you.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Makes sense - thanks for the feedback.