Question

Inventory Part with Shortage

• 7 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

At the site level, there are many “shortages” for parts.  But when I query for all parts in this module I receive only 4.  I do notice that in Inventory Part Availability Planning these 4 parts have the “Shortage” column.   The system parameter Shortage Handling is set to Yes. The Shortage Notification check box must be selected, has been selected for all active Inventory Parts in the “Misc Part Info”.     Is there a “Job” that needs to run that moves the information to the Shortage column, so it can be viewed in the “Inventory Parts with Shortages”

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

see attached example

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If you are not reserving orders (both customer orders and shop orders) then shortages in the definition that IFS uses do not exist.  I understand that you as a human know the part is missing, but until the order is reserved, shortages are not created.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Shawn, thank you for getting back to me.  But please see this example.  I reserved the Shop Order, and there was only available for line 3.  The other lines should be “Shortage”.  I even re-ran MRP.  It does fall under “projected”, but unless it shows under “Shortage” in “Inventory Part Availability Planning” it will not appear on the “Inventory Part with Shortages” query.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

OK, I think you are misunderstanding IPAP.  1030-602-000 is only going to show a Shortage in that column if it is itself a Shortage for the level of demand above it.

Here is an example from our system:

T336-69 is the parent.  I need 10 of the Comp part, but have 8 in stock.  I Reserve the Shop Order, get an error that the Shop Order can’t be fully reserved, but I do get the 8 I have in stock showing as reserved.

Parent Shop Order

If I look at IPAP, the parent doesn’t show short because it is the ordered part I’m looking at, not the Component I reserved.  This is the same as your view.

No Shortage on Parent

However, when I look at the Component Material, it will show as a Shortage to the Source that is listed in the Source Information column

Component Material Shortage
​​​​​​

Now, if I go up to the demand for my original item, T336-69 and Reserve the Shop Order that is the next level above.  For the first order I reserve, I don’t get a shortage because I have qty 1 in stock.  When I reserve the 2nd shop order which exceeds my current stock, now my T336-69 part will show as a Shortage, but it will be to the Order that is above it, not itself.  And only on the first order that is reserved and requires, not both orders.

Parent Item Shortage to next level up

It does all work very well, but you have to be clear about which thing you are looking at the demand source, the supply item, or the Component Material which are 3 different things depending on your viewpoint.  This also doesn’t include the Customer Order that would be the next level above my 2810-405 order, I would need Reservations above that on the Customer Order if I wanted to see a Shortage for 2810-405 in any place.

Hope that clarifies for you, look one level below your 1030-602-000 at each of the component materials, if they are not in stock, they’ll show as a Shortage.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you again Shawn for your time and response.  I do understand that the shortage will be at the component level.  That is what I want to show.  But it won’t.  It did in v8, but I am having issues with v10. 

See line 1 (1030-700-00), I tried reserving and got the Info Message. 

Then I go to IPAP for the Component, and yet it does not appear as a Shortage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

OK clearer, previous screen captures didn’t seem to show component material which is why I thought that was the issue.  Also didn’t realize this had worked for you in a previous version, but not in V10, so that is helpful also.  I’m in V9 by the way, so another difference.  Since your information message which is different than what I see mentions the Availability Check tab, just curious if that shows any other detail there that is helpful.  

Proving V8 or V9 works isn’t helpful for you now, but I wouldn’t know why the behavior has changed in V10.