Solved

Creating inventory locations as a bulk

• 21 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

We all aware that we can use “inventory locations” window or “Warehouse navigator” window in IFS to create inventory locations manually.  

But in the practical context, where there is a requirement to initially create a warehouse in the application with thousands or millions of inventory locations, how this can be done as a bulk?

Many Thanks,

-Lahiru- 

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 21 April 2021, 23:00

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Lahiru Dissanayake ,

Have you looked into creating and using a Migration Job where you could read the information from a CSV file?   We utilized migration job to initially import the inventory part planning data and later on used a different job to update the inventory part planning data.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

In addition to William’s suggestion, we’ve also used paste object from an Excel template that is built to concatenate the information into a string of text.  This is useful for users to create new locations by bulk load, but only works for up to 1000 records per import.

Location was loaded from the previous system and excel was used to parse that into Bay/Row/Tier/Bin as required.

Loc No has be loaded and populated in sequence from the next available from IFS (be careful if this matters in the live system else you create large gaps of sequence numbers if you have abort a load)

Columns G through T are manipulated so the text string includes the correct information which may be fixed (site and location group) or variable (location description)

Column U is copied as the string to be imported - don’t worry about the formulas, IFS will pick up the text - not the formula.

Load was done on the Locations tab with Warehouse selected when in the Warehouse Navigator.

The template can also be adapted to any overview screen once you’ve determined the string needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Lahiru Dissanayake 

Not sure if you are aware of the possibility to copy from other structure in the Warehouse Navigator? On each warehouse level i.e. site, warehouse, bay, row, tier, you can create a new one and copy the warehouse structure and locations from another site, warehouse, bay, row, tier. You can see an example below where I have created a NEW warehouse, then I can click Copy Bays from Warehouse to get a dialog where I specify the warehouse that I want to copy from. This can be done for many new warehouse at the same time and it can be done on any level in the warehouse structure.

Not sure if this will help in your case?

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Fredrik Johansson LKP , I’m aware about this option Fredrik. I was looking for a method to initially define inventory locations in bulk even when there is no any single warehouse previously defined.

Thanks you your answer. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@ShawnBerk  @william.klotz  Thank you so much .