Solved

Updating Contact user information based on event logging form data

• 6 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,

Recently part of our staff contacted our team asking for help with contact users telephone numbers. They told us that since the begining of the pandemic a lot of users are working from home and telephone numbers present in assyst are not up to date anymore.

We tought of clearing the current data and make telephone number visible and mandatory in event logging forms. However, I could not find a bult-in mechanism to update contact user’s telephone number based after that person just logged a new event with a new value for their telephone number.

Is there a bult-in mechanism to enable this or should I customize this? 

icon

Best answer by Robert Wood 8 September 2022, 10:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Otmar,

If I’m understanding correctly you’re looking for the telephone field on the event form to be populated and then update the contact user record’s telephone field with the value from the event form?

Unfortunately the telephone field on the event form isn’t linked to the telephone field on the contact user form, the event form does however have logic to copy the telephone value from the contact user when the affected user field on the event form is populated.

So, what you’ve suggested won’t work “out of the box” however your idea of clearing the telephone field for users and using the event form and mandatory settings could work for you. You’d just need a way of copying over the telephone value used on the event to the contact user that the event is logged against.

I’d suggest this may be possible with the Action Processor by doing the following:

1. check all new events that are logged
  2. check that the telephone field has been populated
  3. check that the value for telephone doesn’t equal the value for the affected user of the event
  4. use a REST request to update the contact user with the telephone value from the event

It’s something our professional services team could likely help you with if you need some help.

Hope this is useful

Cheers,
Robert

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Robert,

Luckly, you understood my issue. I’ve got some ideas on how to implement that, just wanted to make sure that I’d not be reinventing the wheel. Well, that seems not to be the case, so thanks for letting me know that!

Cheers,

Otmar