Solved

How do you handle new required fields in pre-existing service offering forms?

• 16 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, 

Recently we’ve updated a custom form to include a new field which was made required in a form  referenced by some of our service requests.

However, some of our contact users started complaining that they could not log an event anymore, because it was just shown “An error ocurred.”

Almost every time we checked, it was a cache problem, but for two of those users, who use Firefox, even after clearing all the browser data, the new mandatory field never appeared.

We ended up reverting the mandatory substituion of that field in Customizer, but I was wondering: given the nature of this issue, which mostly is dependend on end-user browser configuration, do you have any tips or advice on how to smoothly introduce this kind of changes? I was wondering if configuring JBoss cache control to avoid cache would be a good idea, but not sure it would work and even how to test it.

Regards,

Otmar

icon

Best answer by moconnor1 8 November 2022, 15:35

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Otmar,

I frequently ran into this issue as well and found it wasn’t necessarily always the users browser configuration but the loadbalancer.  The loadbalancer cache can cause an issue as we even had a user go from one session to another being able to see the custom field and then not with nothing having changed at all but their location and server session.

It may end up being easier to simply swap that form out for a duplicate you create that includes the new fields and discontinuing the previous version?

-Mitch

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for the idea. I guess that creating a whole new form would indeed solve the issue. Next time I’ll give that a try, it really makes sense. Or, perhaps, update something in the service designer.

Regards,

Otmar