Question

What does PROJ_UPDATE_METHOD Object Property do?

• 4 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Within Object Properties we have a Property Name of PROJ_UPDATE_METHOD under the MaintenanceConfiguration LU.  It can be set to BATCH or ONLINE.  I have to assume that it is a process that is updating the project but I’m hoping to get some details as to what is being updated, how it works, and what triggers it.

I’m all ears (eyes?) is someone has a glossary of these properties

Thank you

Patrick

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Patrick,

We actually just took a deep dive into this object property a few weeks ago and changing it made a huge performance improvement in our system. What we found out is that when the property is set to ONLINE, any time an update is made to a project-connected work order, the system runs the “refresh project connections” process for the whole work order in the foreground of the application. When the property is set to BATCH, the system creates a background job to handle the refresh project connections process for that work order (Work_Order_Utility_API.Refresh_Project_Connection__). 

Our system was set to ONLINE, and we were noticing significant performance issues when handling project-connected work orders. Any time we’d make an update to the work order or work task like changing planned start dates on work tasks, adding new material rows, issuing material to the work task, etc., the process would take longer than expected to complete or sometimes IFS would freeze up and crash and have to be force closed via task manager. We noticed this performance got worse as more material rows were added to a task. 

After switching to BATCH, all of our performance issues improved since the project refresh connections was now being handled as a background job. Changes that would freeze up IFS and wouldn’t go through now were running significantly faster. 

This might be more detail than you needed, but I figured I’d share the performance issues we experienced in case other users run across this same issue.

Thanks,

Evan Edwards