Skip to main content

When a tool/equipment is connected to a serial object, work orders can be created against either the Tool/Eq Object ID, or the Equipment Object ID (part no + serial no). However only WOs to the tool/eq ID are registered in the WORK ORDERS tab in the Tool/Equipment detail page. Seems if there is a connection, the object ID for a new WO should only be allowed against the tool/eq ID, or WOs against the Eq Obj ID should also be registered in the WORK ORDERS tab in the Tool/Equipment detail page.

Example

Hi @lamaus  - I wonder what is the use case here. Why someone need to create work orders on both Tool/Equipment and Serial Object?  Could you please explain us the requirement?

On the other hand, I doubt it is a fair enough move to get work orders created on Serial Object under Tool/Equipment page, since it has given a good flexibility of connecting and disconnecting serial objects time to time.

@Mayura Wasantha  - my point was that a user COULD create a WO against either tool or serial object, and if it’s possible, they likely will. That was why I was suggesting that when there is a connection, a WO can only be raised against the tool and not allowed to be raised against the serial object, so that the history captured is accurate.

You are probably correct that the other option of getting work orders created on Serial Object under Tool/Equipment page, is probably not feasible. 

@Mayura Wasantha  - my point was that a user COULD create a WO against either tool or serial object, and if it’s possible, they likely will. That was why I was suggesting that when there is a connection, a WO can only be raised against the tool and not allowed to be raised against the serial object, so that the history captured is accurate.

You are probably correct that the other option of getting work orders created on Serial Object under Tool/Equipment page, is probably not feasible. 

I can partially agree with your point about restricting the creation of work orders on serial objects when there is a connection. Specifically, I agree that this restriction should apply only to the Top Serial object and not to the serial objects representing sub-assembly levels. I will paste two slides that explain the initial design thinking behind this feature for your understanding and feedback/comments.

I also agree that when there is a connection, the restriction should apply only to the Top Serial object and not to the serial objects representing sub-assembly levels. So what needs done to make this happen?

I also agree that when there is a connection, the restriction should apply only to the Top Serial object and not to the serial objects representing sub-assembly levels. So what needs done to make this happen?

Hi @lamaus  Are you in a position to do a small modification in the customer setup? Else are you expecting a fix from RnD ? I doubt whether RnD can treat this as a high severity issue to fix it in support. At least that is my understanding.

No I don’t think RnD will see this as a high priority. Do you have an idea in mind for the “small modification in the customer setup”. I’m not real technical will sure give it a try

Me neither a technical expert. I could make a simple suggestion for you try this out.

Call the below method in the business logic (work order) at the point of creating a work order.

“” Resource_Tool_Equip_API.Has_Equipment()  “”  This can be used to check serial object connection with tool equipment that returns True/False.

Creation of WO can be proceeded if it is FALSE.

I hope this would help.