Question

Users getting different report results

• 18 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We have a report (not QBE) where users are getting different results using the same parameters. What could cause this? There is nothing within the report that would cause it to filter differently and the only difference we can find in what a user can see is order type. We have tested with a number of different security roles and have not found a common thread. Would security roles affect a report? Has this changed?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Leann,

Hard to say without having examples of what you are experiencing.  Which reports?

However, in general security roles would not impact the results of the reports. I am referring to the option in the Employees Security module:

These security roles normally allow you access to the modules or fields in the UI itself not impacting the data results once in the module.

What does impact possibly are the nodes linked to the users.  You do not mention how the user nodes and portals are set up in the Employees Security module. For example, one user might have a higher node in the node tree assigned than another user or perhaps does not have descendants enabled to see child nodes.

If by report, you mean the search screen for a module (a.ka. QBE), you might try also to clear all filters with the Clear button and but also reset the view in case there was a hidden criteria not displayed.  This last is done by selecting the view drop down and choose manage views.  There is an option to reset the view which is helpful to do with the Last View if this is the active view so it is unfiltered.

I am more inclined to believe they have different node permissions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

It’s a report internally created, HFT Receiving Report. Not a QBE, and nodes are set the same for both customer/site and all users. We did notice that those of us that can see the additional lines are set to bypass security and/or customizer. Looking into whether the order itself might be missing node information. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please look at warehouse permissions as this is receiving.  Are the users configured the same?  Normally bypass security option (customizer setting is bypass security by default) will bypass checks on Node, Warehouse and Security Setup settings.  Now I see why you suspect security setup as I was not aware that your users who retrieve more data were bypass security  It is possible also to set the user to bypass both (Do not use Bypass Security itself as this then clears the setting for the security role).

See if by Bypass Warehouse Security, you get the results you are looking for and if so, this may point you in the right direction.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Phil Seifert , 

We did some more testing and bypassing the warehouse security did not change results for the users. However, bypassing node security DID allow them to see all orders. So I’m still at a loss, we confirmed that orders not seen in results have the same node assignment as the users, the users all have access to that node. The report itself doesn’t address node in any way. It is tied to a specific warehouse, which is also set to the same node. Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Leann,

Sorry, I can't suggest anything more not having access to your data, custom report, etc.  What I would try to do is capture the SQL query executed when the report runs for the users not getting all the rows and step through that to see what criteria is disqualifying these rows.

If this custom report was developed by IFS, you should discuss it further with your local IFS Alliance support team.  Unfortunately, I am out of ideas at this point as well.