Question

Does the API rate limit? Requests taking a long time.

• 19 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I am trying to add a large number of items as references to a checklist. This was not available in the import template, but I was provided an XML example here, so I figured I’d just do them one by one through the API.

The amount of time those requests took quickly skyrocketed from under a second to a flat 105 seconds, then up to 109, then back down. I was concerned it was scaling with the size of the checklist, but it seems more like the server is just throttling me. Is this the case?

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

To add to this, I tried doing the same command as an import template, both using the API and by mapping columns. All scenarios now take a ludicrous amount of time for this checklist, regardless of the rate of submission.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi John,

I don’t think the API has a rate limit, if i understand correctly you use manually API en Import wizard. According to my knowledge both are OOB synchronous operations.

If I want to import a large amount of rows, i use the asynchronous option that is available in Import Utility on our Utility server.

This is more a tip than a solution to your Rate limit problem.

Just open Import Utility on your server and create an import template using Mapping by API or BO’s.

And set Asynchronous in settings tab, you can set your email to send log when import is finished.